Thread: New from UK
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome out of hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv01jw View Post
I don't intend to modify the car at all - it is used but has a manufacturer warranty with it and I don't want to jeopardise it by faffing with the car.
You could do the stealthy, easy to revert modifications, like a removable grille block, increased tyre pressure, weight reduction by throwing out anything you don't need, ...

Changing the way you're driving can save massive amounts of fuel.
See the hypermiling tips.

Quote:
Also, some stations around here sell supposed Higher Grade diesel (and want a few more pence per litre for it) - is this actually any good?
In Belgium (diesel territory par excellence) they tested these premium diesel fuels in a scientific way, the only fuel to score just above the statistical error margin, was Total excelium diesel.
But it's so expensive over here, you'd never recoup the extra cost - just useful to know when you want a record tank
Esso was OK, sort of, higher MPG, but within the error margin.

There aren't that many refineries, so many stations are selling essentially the same brew, plus or minus some extra additives added during filling of the truck.
Sometimes you can get a glimpse of what you're filling up with when the station gets replenished - the fuel truck may look familiar.

Essentially, all automotive diesel in the EU has to comply to the same, already high standard that's good enough for your car.
Some brands may supply fuel that's a tad better - but then you usually pay dearly for it.

My advice ?
Buy the cheapest diesel from a reputable source with a service station along or very close to your usual routes.
If you have to drive around just to get cheaper fuel, you quickly lose anything you gained from using a cheaper fuel station ...