Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New from UK

Hi All

I have spent most of this morning reading threads on the site - I must say there is a wealth of useful information on here.

I joined the forum a few years ago but haven't been active - however I have just bought a new car and have decided now it the time to really give this a go.

I don't intend to modify the car at all - it is used but has a manufacturer warranty with it and I don't want to jeopardise it by faffing with the car. I also like the way it looks and drives and don't really want to change it.

My new car is a 2009 Honda Accord 2.2 i-DTec. For me it is a massive upgrade as I have always had older cars, and I am really looking forward to beating the 53.3mpg (UK) Honda claim the car will do. For now, my target is 55mpg (UK).

I'll be using the built in readout to keep an eye on things, as well as good old fashioned pen and paper in the car to log fill ups.

One question I do have is what sort of difference will the fuel I use have on my mpg? For example, in my local town I have two choices - a branded station (Esso) and a supermarket (Tesco) - which of these is best from an mpg point of view? Also, some stations around here sell supposed Higher Grade diesel (and want a few more pence per litre for it) - is this actually any good?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome out of hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv01jw View Post
I don't intend to modify the car at all - it is used but has a manufacturer warranty with it and I don't want to jeopardise it by faffing with the car.
You could do the stealthy, easy to revert modifications, like a removable grille block, increased tyre pressure, weight reduction by throwing out anything you don't need, ...

Changing the way you're driving can save massive amounts of fuel.
See the hypermiling tips.

Quote:
Also, some stations around here sell supposed Higher Grade diesel (and want a few more pence per litre for it) - is this actually any good?
In Belgium (diesel territory par excellence) they tested these premium diesel fuels in a scientific way, the only fuel to score just above the statistical error margin, was Total excelium diesel.
But it's so expensive over here, you'd never recoup the extra cost - just useful to know when you want a record tank
Esso was OK, sort of, higher MPG, but within the error margin.

There aren't that many refineries, so many stations are selling essentially the same brew, plus or minus some extra additives added during filling of the truck.
Sometimes you can get a glimpse of what you're filling up with when the station gets replenished - the fuel truck may look familiar.

Essentially, all automotive diesel in the EU has to comply to the same, already high standard that's good enough for your car.
Some brands may supply fuel that's a tad better - but then you usually pay dearly for it.

My advice ?
Buy the cheapest diesel from a reputable source with a service station along or very close to your usual routes.
If you have to drive around just to get cheaper fuel, you quickly lose anything you gained from using a cheaper fuel station ...

Reply  Post New Thread