Thread: new Prius owner
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.16 mpg (US)
Congrats, man.

I just got an '03 HCH and am still learning it. Beating the EPA but I know I can do better - but I'm going to pad my disappointment and say the last 200 miles has been in Ark-worthy rainfall.

If it were up to me I'd say ditch the Altima and keep the Ranger. You're getting better mileage in the Ranger and it's probably paid off, or nearly. It's also probably a lot cheaper to insure. If it's just you and the wife, two seats is plenty; if you have a kid getting old enough to drive, sell it to him. The modest engine and manny tranny keep insurers happy and the low seat count keeps the death toll down in a fiery crash.

Sorry, that last was macabre but every time I send my kids out on an errand, the phrase "fiery crash" goes through my head.

I don't have a Prius but occasionally drive a PII for work and have found the existing gauges sufficient for hypermiling duties, if poorly placed. An Ultra or SGII would at least allow you to put it right in front of you so you don't have to keep taking your eyes so far away from the road.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.