View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #425 (permalink)
turbovr41991
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Sorry to hear that Bruce. I can definitely see where you are coming from on the rust. That is why I pulled the engine from an HX and put it in my clean CX to begin with. I too am interested in the Elio. Let’s hope it actually makes production!

I have been pretty discouraged lately for hypermiling driving. We have had warmer temps here lately requiring use of AC. As a result my gas mileage has suffered horribly. I had to go to Chicago for my grandfathers funeral in Chicago and my average speed was 80 mph and my MPG for the trip was only 44. We did not have the time to slow down and a fussy 1 year old in the back seat required faster speeds and AC… It is even more discouraging when my dad made the same trip in a stock 2012 Jetta TDI at the same speeds with AC and netted 51 mpg! In the end, driving the civic over our other cars makes sense as it is still only using ½ the amount of fuel as the alternatives, but I know it will drag down the team which is frustrating.

With all Calfornia98Civic’s testing on tire size, cx/vx trans and speedometer accuracy I felt the trip to Chicago was a great time to check my instrumentation’s accuracy. Over 100 miles of mile markers/ gps tracking along the way. My speedometer was 99.02% accurate and my calibrated MPGuino is set to be 99.9% accurate. So no potential upside to my wheel/ tire/ transmission combination…

Just kind of depressing (on several levels.)