View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #426 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
I had to go to Chicago for my grandfathers funeral in Chicago and my average speed was 80 mph and my MPG for the trip was only 44. We did not have the time to slow down and a fussy 1 year old in the back seat required faster speeds and AC…
I look at that and think: the only time my unmodified 1998 DX got 44 mpg was without AC and at 55 mph and with me alone in the car. You drove 80mph with the AC on and got 44mpg. Looks pretty good really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
It is even more discouraging when my dad made the same trip in a stock 2012 Jetta TDI at the same speeds with AC and netted 51 mpg!
Yes, but he pays higher insurance premiums, possibly car loan interest, higher auto taxes if your state has them, and he faces several thousand a year in vehicle value depreciation costs. You do not face those costs at nearly the level he does.

Pretty good really.

BTW, I still don't believe my own calibration, but different instruments keep showing me the same results, so I obey the best known facts.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.