View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Lordherald, an automotive class would be great. I have been wondering if I should find some "Easy A" classes to boost my GPA and self-esteem.

It certainly would be nice to have more independence of those with expensive whims.

Fat Charlie, I do not know if the first shop, which charged $100, did more than read my codes, but it ended up being as simple as replacing the sensor. The part was $115 and even if an hour of labor was the same, that would be less than half of the quote.

The guy in the Forester forums said that his faulty knock sensor made his engine run poorly. How likely is that? He said that his car ran fine as soon as he replaced it.

Had they said it would be $230 I would have had it done immediately, saving me countless frustrations.

Regarding the timing belt, the knock sensor was a confounding variable, as well as the fact that the car ran fine for a week and a half.

Honestly, I keep wondering if I would do better as a mechanic. I am not doing well in school and while Speech-Language Pathologists provide a vital service, everybody needs mechanics, and I would hate to have my family go through drama just because dealers and shops are dishonest and\or inept.