View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I acually like the two circuit carb. It lets you know when you are in the high speed circuit much like the old vacuum operated secondaries on carburetors. I have not messed with the timing, had not read about that mod so far. Today I got it on the Interstate for close to 40 miles. Last time when I got off the idle was up 200 RPM. I'm trying to avoid messing with the carbs until this winter when the weather gives me a few days to go after them. If it keeps getting better I might not mess with them at all.
The gas tank is spotless inside.

I figured out that some time before my ownership someone routed the fuel hoses wrong to the petcock. The hose to the carbs and the reserve hose are reversed, which explains why it will not run on the main setting on the petcock, just reserve. When the tank level gets lower, I'll switch them around and the petcock should work properly. Right now I'm afraid to run it down to reserve, it might not be there.

Dropped the oil out yesterday and refilled with Rotella 15W40. Might go with a synthetic next time. I prefer syn on air cooled engines. Calls for 10W40 but I had 4 quarts of Rotella in my garage already. Lubed the speedo and tach cables, got to love that old tech. My 37 Ford had brake cables that still worked when they were 66 years old.

regards
Mech