Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Variety is good. +1 on keeping the first wife. Longevity in personal relationships is quite another thing that with "stuff".

I mentioned the GS500F as it adds an intermediate circuit in the carb for more accurate fueling, and of course the moderate wind protection of the fairing. Have you done the ignition advance yet?

I kinda thought the Suzuki GN400 would've been a good bike. A simple thumper that got 70mpg from the magazines. Pretty mellow at about 27-30 hp and not as beastly as the Yamaha 500 singles. Ever try one?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I acually like the two circuit carb. It lets you know when you are in the high speed circuit much like the old vacuum operated secondaries on carburetors. I have not messed with the timing, had not read about that mod so far. Today I got it on the Interstate for close to 40 miles. Last time when I got off the idle was up 200 RPM. I'm trying to avoid messing with the carbs until this winter when the weather gives me a few days to go after them. If it keeps getting better I might not mess with them at all.
The gas tank is spotless inside.

I figured out that some time before my ownership someone routed the fuel hoses wrong to the petcock. The hose to the carbs and the reserve hose are reversed, which explains why it will not run on the main setting on the petcock, just reserve. When the tank level gets lower, I'll switch them around and the petcock should work properly. Right now I'm afraid to run it down to reserve, it might not be there.

Dropped the oil out yesterday and refilled with Rotella 15W40. Might go with a synthetic next time. I prefer syn on air cooled engines. Calls for 10W40 but I had 4 quarts of Rotella in my garage already. Lubed the speedo and tach cables, got to love that old tech. My 37 Ford had brake cables that still worked when they were 66 years old.

regards
Mech
Old 08-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I picked up an 89 GS500E two weeks ago. 9808 miles for $850 in barely running condition. After some work I got it in decent mechanical condition. After getting insurance and license plates I noticed it ran significantly better than the 94. I pulled the carbs on the 94 yesterday and cleaned them up. The pilot jets were particularly bad with one over 50% plugged. Mechanical cleaning and soaking in tarn-ex got them looking nice.

The bike runs much better now, maybe the MPG will climb now that I have it dailed in nicely. 1400 miles on the 94 since I purchased it about 6 weeks ago.

regards
Mech
Old 04-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Doing research, the cams from the Suzuki GR650 bolt into the GS500. (theGSResources.com) They have a little more lift and less duration than the 500 cams. So they are designed for more torque and lower RPM hp peak.

As the GR650 has 8.7:1 compression and the 500 has 9.0:1 and they are of the same engine family. I suppose one can infer that the increase in dynamic compression with the GR650 cams is equal to about .3 over the 500 cams. Overlap is presumably less as duration on both intake and exhaust is less which is good for fuel efficiency.

I'm considering a GS500f for my future high speed commute. Considering taller gearing and these torquey GR650 cams to make the engine run more optimally at 70-75mph. The engine should handle it okay because the 500 motors seem to do best with an additional 4-6 degrees of ignition advance. The extra .3 compression should make the stock ignition advance about right or at least closer to it.

Anyway, just thought I'd post in case anyone was interested in these dated but rock solid bikes.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The 89 is in hibernation right now. Started it for the first time in 3 months and the floats must be sticking. Pulled the tank and drained it, engine ran fine with the tank unhooked until the float chambers ran dry.
I transferred the tags to the GZ250 in December. The 89 GS needs tires, chain and sprockets and a redo on the carbs. I'm trying to decide whether to take it all apart and clean up and repaint the frame, wheels, and the rest of the metal.
It will have to wait until I get the 3 wheeler on the road.

regards
Mech
Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you decide to get a GS 500 check out addidasguy on gs500 twins forum. He knows just about everything about the bike and lives in or near Seattle. He opens up his garage and tools to other gs twin board members and they work on their bikes there.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 04-01-2014 at 08:27 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I picked up an 89 GS500E two weeks ago. 9808 miles for $850 in barely running condition. After some work I got it in decent mechanical condition. After getting insurance and license plates I noticed it ran significantly better than the 94. I pulled the carbs on the 94 yesterday and cleaned them up. The pilot jets were particularly bad with one over 50% plugged. Mechanical cleaning and soaking in tarn-ex got them looking nice.
Another one! Good price from the sound of it. I've always like the look, but haven't ridden one.

This weekend I'm looking at a '82 CX500 Custom that has been sitting for years. We'll see how it looks and what he wants for it. Not my favorite, but my son may get it running and sell it - with the profits going to help pay for Engineering school next year. Going to take some big profits to put a dent in that bill...
Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
If you decide to get a GS 500 check out addidasguy on gs500 twins forum. He knows just about everything about the bike and lives in or near Seattle. He opens up his garage and tools to other gs twin board members and they work on their bikes there.

regards
Mech
Thanks for the note about addidasguy. Sounds like a genuine, helpful person.

I also posted this because I've noticed that the GS500 prices have dropped like a rock. All the new and more exciting entry level bikes have made the already aged GS500 very old hat. It appears it's still a really good bike despite the 30+ year old engine design. With all the variants of the engine over the years, selecting choice pieces could result in a nicely efficient freeway bike with decent power, as well as very cheap to buy and own.