View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
If a person wanted to try and achieve 1L fuel economy (282 mpg Imperial) how would they do it?

That is what this thread is going to attempt to answer
I presume from your later posts, that you are referring to getting super high mileage from 4 wheels.

To be honest, I think that my Insight, which typically gets 120 mpg in the summer months, is a gas hog.

Why?

I weigh close to 190 lbs, and I need "transportation" to get my body from Point A to Point B.

The Insight weighs in at 1900 lbs, so right off the bat, the ratio of my weight to the cars is a low 1:10 ratio. The Insight engine has to "haul" 10 times my body weight just for the "luxury" of me riding in a "car".

Naturally the progression then becomes, "how do I move myself from one location to another without moving so much mass".

A motorcycle or scooter comes to mind. And then the next question, how much horsepower is required to make this happen.

Craig Vetter seems to feel that his 17 hp Honda step-through has the right balance between weight and hp.

Obviously, a more efficient approach would be a HPV bicycle, but I assume you are not discussing this type of motivation in your vehicle.

Jim.