Thread: F150 MPG Blues
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Noahfreak
EcoModding Lurker

Goldy II - '94 Saturn SC2
Last 3: 26.24 mpg (US)

The Beast - '88 Ford F150 XLT Lariat, Supercab, Long Bed
90 day: 13.61 mpg (US)

Domo - '89 Honda Civic Wagovan
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper Tdiesel View Post
is it a S\B reg cab or a L\B extra cab, or one of the other combos

what tire size are you running on the F150
something around 235/75/15 was the OE size...

under stand the more you rigg it for light loads on the open road, the more it will hurt your loaded and or city mpg...
as the saying goes there's no free lunch when it come's to gearing...

for road mpg.....
0.01c down size the tires and compensate with the final ratio....

ZF Manual / Standard Transmission Identification Parts and Diagrams
Thanks for the info Trooper Tdiesel

It's an extended cab long bed.

The current tire size is the 31x10.50x15 that you mentioned people changing them to. I think they came stock on the 4x4's and broncos. I plan to return to the OE size or at least something with a little better rolling resistance than these offroading tires that are on it now.

Right now the rear gears are the stock 3.55's and I have the option to switch to whatever's available. The ZF S5-42 that I just swapped in is the wide ratio with the 0.76 overdrive gear. I think the most I'd want to go right now would be around a 3.08 if I keep the current tires.

Sorry for being a newb, but what do you mean by 0.01c on the tires? I'm assuming you mean just go shorter/narrower?

As far as I know, E0 gas isn't available anywhere in California, so that's not an option for me. Even if it was available, it would cost me more to drive to some distant station than I'd save in mileage. I've noticed that there are tuning chips for the 302 version of the F150 to improve mileage for E10 but I haven't been able to find anything for the 300. Anyone know of one, or a way to hack into this thing myself and tune it?