View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #241 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
So we're ditching the genset option because the Leaf's max charge rate is not high enough?
It does not have to charge the battery, right? It just can feed the EV's engine directly.

We accept that converting a car to an ICE pusher trailer with all the controls is feasible.
Circumventing the max 'charge' limitation to match the power used under load should not be harder that that imho. With twice the power generated the problem disappears.
Then the range is limited only by the generator's tank size.
Just like the pusher, a genset just isn't practical. One sized large enough to provide nearly 100% of the energy needed would weigh nearly 2000 pounds. This is way too much weight for a car like the leaf to safely pull, and would cost $10,000.

It's not that it can't be done, it's just that it isn't practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The losses of the generator are more than offset, I think, by the fact that the engine runs at a single RPM - right at its peak efficiency, all the time...
True, but based on the fuel consumption rates for the gensets you listed previously, a generator providing 100% of the energy needed to drive the Leaf would get only 29 mpg; and that is on diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Humm... Perhaps you'd better let all those Chevy Volt owners know this? 'Cause as far as I can see, the only difference is that you're putting the IC engine & generator on a trailer, instead of inside the car.
The Volt is a fairly ridiculous car that only serves the traveling needs of very few people. It costs a small fortune to purchase, and gets fairly poor fuel economy when using the ICE. Why lug around an ICE everywhere if you don't intend on using it? If you do intend to use it, why not get something more efficient like a Prius? If your family has at least 2 cars, why not have an EV for commuting/grocery-getting and an efficient gasser for longer trips?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!