View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
cujet didn't limit his wanderings to public places. I said we have no expectation of privacy in public places. He claimed a no limits constitutional freedom (which doesn't exist), that "As Americans, we have every expectation of going where we want, when we want, and it's nobody's business where or why." I simply reminded him of the obvious limitations as soon as you try to cross a property boundary.

cujet, the barn door is open, so let's discuss this in public.

I didn't say that, Frank. I'm disappointed in you for building a straw man to attack, and claiming it's my position. I simply pointed out we have no expectation of privacy in public places. I took no position on the legality of spying and database keeping.
I absolutely agree, Sentra. If I go use a library computer, I expect my information to not be safe.

If I use their wifi, I don't expect my information to be "safe." I expect my library card record to be on file somewhere. I am not paranoid about it, nor do I care, and maybe they don't- but if I go to a mall, I expect to be recorded, taped, on video, whatever. Private property I am allowed on. Roads may be public space, but if the government is paying for them (with taxes), then who do they really belong to?

I am not partial either way. If I was worried about my LP being recorded, I wouldn't drive a car, or drive a car with one. I'd ride a bike, or walk.

Red light cameras, speed cameras, traffic light cameras for monitoring intersection activity, so on- it's public space. At least in Ohio, it's no big deal to use my camcorder in a public place- if no one "owns" that spot but the government, I guess, what's the big deal?

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
SentraSE-R (07-19-2013)