Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Exceptional Member

Crapolier - '98 Chevrolet Cavalier base
90 day: 34.81 mpg (US)

05 CTS-V - '05 cadillac cts-v
90 day: 33.01 mpg (US)

95 Accord - '95 Honda Accord
90 day: 38.06 mpg (US)

11 CTS-V - '11 Cadillac CTS-V
collection of data should only occur when you violate the law in a vehicle.

Don't know why it says 00, it's a 95
374,000 miles and tired.
The Following User Says Thank You to YukonCornelius For This Useful Post:
chumly (07-20-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Or when there is a specific, active investigation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
chumly (07-20-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Exceptional Member

Crapolier - '98 Chevrolet Cavalier base
90 day: 34.81 mpg (US)

05 CTS-V - '05 cadillac cts-v
90 day: 33.01 mpg (US)

95 Accord - '95 Honda Accord
90 day: 38.06 mpg (US)

11 CTS-V - '11 Cadillac CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Or when there is a specific, active investigation.

Also fine.

Don't know why it says 00, it's a 95
374,000 miles and tired.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
1) So you want to argue you have every expectation of going where you want, when you want, and it's nobody's business where or why? Try that argument at the entry gate to your nearest military base, and tell us how far you get.

2) ..your scattergun rants about authoritarian governments.

1) Reductio ad absurdum! And you know it.
2) Bulleted points are as far from "scattergun" as possible, nor are they rants.

With that in mind, I'd love to hear your point of view. I'm always willing to be educated and willing to change my mind when appropriate. Make your case. Let's do it via PM and keep it out of the forum.

Last edited by cujet; 07-18-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Shortly after the definition of Weapons of Mass Destruction was expanded to include a pipe bomb, the definition of terrorism was expanded to include informed voters. If you're offended at being tracked, you're a terrorist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
chumly (07-20-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Military bases and business cash registers and the like are clearly not public places.
cujet didn't limit his wanderings to public places. I said we have no expectation of privacy in public places. He claimed a no limits constitutional freedom (which doesn't exist), that "As Americans, we have every expectation of going where we want, when we want, and it's nobody's business where or why." I simply reminded him of the obvious limitations as soon as you try to cross a property boundary.

cujet, the barn door is open, so let's discuss this in public.

Quote:
You say all this spying and database keeping is legal; it must be stretching the 4th to it's very limits if not beyond.

If these activities do in fact not violate the letter of the law, they damn sure violate the spirit of the law.
I didn't say that, Frank. I'm disappointed in you for building a straw man to attack, and claiming it's my position. I simply pointed out we have no expectation of privacy in public places. I took no position on the legality of spying and database keeping.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 07-18-2013 at 04:16 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sentra,

You know better than that. Not only that, but an attempt at putting me on the defensive is a cheap tactic.

Let's remain on topic, The 3rd and the 4th Amdt's. Yes, the third. Any Constitutional scholar knows the very unwelcome quartering of soldiers during peace time was not related only to the pantry and the bedroom. There is a component of first hand knowledge that cannot/could not be found remotely by a "standing army". Do we not have something approaching a "standing army" now, in the DHS, State and Local agencies? I submit that we do. And, under the 3rd and the 4th, these government agencies are not entitled to any information about me, other that that provided in the required Census. This includes information of my travels, my habits, my possessions, my associations and so on.

Since when did it become acceptable for Americans to be interrogated during conventional travel? (interrogated: Ask questions of (someone, esp. a suspect or a prisoner) closely, aggressively, or formally) I've been detained, interrogated, and significantly delayed by government agents. Please explain how the "Plain Language Meaning" of the 4th allows any of this?

For example: If I choose to exercise my right to remain silent, I then end up with a damaged car, detention, abusive treatment and so on. Tell me how great this is.

Last edited by cujet; 07-18-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sentra,

Do you like how things are going? Make the case...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
cujet didn't limit his wanderings to public places. I said we have no expectation of privacy in public places. He claimed a no limits constitutional freedom (which doesn't exist), that "As Americans, we have every expectation of going where we want, when we want, and it's nobody's business where or why." I simply reminded him of the obvious limitations as soon as you try to cross a property boundary.

cujet, the barn door is open, so let's discuss this in public.

I didn't say that, Frank. I'm disappointed in you for building a straw man to attack, and claiming it's my position. I simply pointed out we have no expectation of privacy in public places. I took no position on the legality of spying and database keeping.
I absolutely agree, Sentra. If I go use a library computer, I expect my information to not be safe.

If I use their wifi, I don't expect my information to be "safe." I expect my library card record to be on file somewhere. I am not paranoid about it, nor do I care, and maybe they don't- but if I go to a mall, I expect to be recorded, taped, on video, whatever. Private property I am allowed on. Roads may be public space, but if the government is paying for them (with taxes), then who do they really belong to?

I am not partial either way. If I was worried about my LP being recorded, I wouldn't drive a car, or drive a car with one. I'd ride a bike, or walk.

Red light cameras, speed cameras, traffic light cameras for monitoring intersection activity, so on- it's public space. At least in Ohio, it's no big deal to use my camcorder in a public place- if no one "owns" that spot but the government, I guess, what's the big deal?

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
SentraSE-R (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
This thread is all over the map, but I'll throw down my positions, and my reasons for some of them.

License plate recordings and databases. LEOs are enforcing traffic (parking) laws on public roads and property, and incidentally gathering data that's searched for stolen vehicles, wants and warrants. No citizens' rights to privacy are being violated, no inconvenience to law-abiding citizens. Win-win, except for repo agencies and data miners getting involved.

NSA surveillance programs. Bad, very bad.

Gov't dossiers on every citizen. Straw man, doesn't exist.

No expectation of privacy in public places. Well established by case law. With few exceptions (e.g. public phone booths, public restrooms), I can photograph and follow and publicize your activities in public, including what I can see from the street through your windows.

Warrantless tracking by GPS was ruled unconstitutional because the device was placed in the subject's property, violating his privacy rights. Other tracking methods have not yet been ruled unconstitutional, so extending GPS tracking unconstitutionality to all other tracking is an unjustified stretch.

"As Americans, we have every expectation of going where we want, when we want," but that certainly doesn't apply to other peoples' property. You also forgot that in public places, it's anybody's business, not nobody's business.

"And while blatantly violating constitutionally protected rights, thousands of cops lock down a 20-block area..." What constitutional rights were blatantly violated? Do you have any proof that any cop forced his way into a home without consent? That exigency didn't exist?

Third Amendment. Meh. It's the one Amendment in the Bill of Rights that's never had an issue rising to Supreme Court consideration. Much ado about nothing.

United States v. Martinez-Fuerte, 428 U.S. 543 (1976) was a decision of the United States Supreme Court that allowed the United States Border Patrol to set up permanent or fixed checkpoints on public highways leading to or away from the Mexican border, and that these checkpoints are not a violation of the Fourth Amendment. The videos show that ICE agents can ask their questions, and only stop you with consent or probable cause. Some of those videos show the driver almost crossing the probable cause line by refusing to answer questions about other occupants in the vehicle. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the guy whose window got busted gave the officers probable cause to search his vehicle.

What do I think about it? The current pro-Wall Street activist SCOTUS is a disaster for our individual rights.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
chumly (07-20-2013), NachtRitter (07-19-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread