View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #54 (permalink)
ERTW
EcoModding Apprentice

Bu - '08 Chevrolet Malibu LS
90 day: 32.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
My frugal mind is thinking, "How much does the Cruze Diesel cost??"

Answer, it will start at $25,600, according to the article. Ouch. 46 mpg is awesome, but it costs what, $9,000ish more than a regular gas Cruze? So, if we were speaking strictly on price, the Cruze diesel would never really break even over the 42 mpg hwy Cruze Eco, considering the cost of diesel is higher than the cost of gas. So, one would pay a lot more for the diesel option, then more for diesel at the pump and finally, more for diesel maintenance, correct? This is also assuming that one is set on buying a Cruze and no other car model.

Of course, I am basing this off of price alone and using EPA ratings and that article's estimations. I am not taking into account the gains that can be had by driving, modding, etc.

I am just throwing this out there as food for thought.
The Cruze Eco is a stripped down, row your own, FE champ.

The Cruze diesel is a loaded, automatic only, FE champ-beater.

Totally different segment. Much more user friendly. It has much more torque and is more fun to drive. And probably less dependent on driving style. GM wanted the Cruze to beat the Jetta in refinement as well. Compare apples to apples!

Currently, diesel cost has finally dropped below gasoline in Toronto area. As a less refined fuel, the cost should always be cheaper than petrol.