Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #51 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Yeah, it seems like the 1.4eco is the true fuel economy king, not this 2.0 diesel.
Unless the diesel will fit in the 6MT eco trim.

Might be a nice project in a decade or so.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #52 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Unless the diesel will fit in the 6MT eco trim.
I might admit I considered quite dumb to not make the Diesel available with the Eco trim, or even a version specifically oriented for fuel savings with hand-cranked windows, some lightened body panels made out of fiberglass for the trunk lid, hood, front fenders and eventually door panels (not the door frames at least in a first moment), a simplified (then also lightened) trim, including the seats. I could also suggest some manually-adjustable seatbelts instead of the retractible ones, but the American customer would hate it...
Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Previous Car - '12 Chevrolet Cruze Eco MT
Team Chevy
90 day: 44.29 mpg (US)

535d XDrive - '16 BMW 535d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Yeah, it seems like the 1.4eco is the true fuel economy king, not this 2.0 diesel.
I wouldn't go that far...

Sure, the economics of paying more for the diesel over the Eco to save $ on fuel are debatable at best, but I don't think anyone will argue that the diesel gets worse mileage. Based on EPA testing the TD gets 46 MPG hwy vs. the Eco at 42 MPG, almost a 10% increase.

That 10% increase comes with an automatic transmission and almost 500 lbs. higher curb weight. It uses all the same aero tricks as the Eco, including the lower grille shutters.

If the Cruze TD were available in a lighter weight Eco variant with a taller geared manual transmission, I have no doubt that highway figure could be increased to 48 MPG or more.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Bu - '08 Chevrolet Malibu LS
90 day: 32.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
My frugal mind is thinking, "How much does the Cruze Diesel cost??"

Answer, it will start at $25,600, according to the article. Ouch. 46 mpg is awesome, but it costs what, $9,000ish more than a regular gas Cruze? So, if we were speaking strictly on price, the Cruze diesel would never really break even over the 42 mpg hwy Cruze Eco, considering the cost of diesel is higher than the cost of gas. So, one would pay a lot more for the diesel option, then more for diesel at the pump and finally, more for diesel maintenance, correct? This is also assuming that one is set on buying a Cruze and no other car model.

Of course, I am basing this off of price alone and using EPA ratings and that article's estimations. I am not taking into account the gains that can be had by driving, modding, etc.

I am just throwing this out there as food for thought.
The Cruze Eco is a stripped down, row your own, FE champ.

The Cruze diesel is a loaded, automatic only, FE champ-beater.

Totally different segment. Much more user friendly. It has much more torque and is more fun to drive. And probably less dependent on driving style. GM wanted the Cruze to beat the Jetta in refinement as well. Compare apples to apples!

Currently, diesel cost has finally dropped below gasoline in Toronto area. As a less refined fuel, the cost should always be cheaper than petrol.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #55 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTW View Post
Currently, diesel cost has finally dropped below gasoline in Toronto area. As a less refined fuel, the cost should always be cheaper than petrol.
Unfortunately, such pricing equity has not trickled down to USA, and probably never will...'cuz the greedy never like giving anything BACK once it's been taken.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I might admit I considered quite dumb to not make the Diesel available with the Eco trim, or even a version specifically oriented for fuel savings with hand-cranked windows, some lightened body panels made out of fiberglass for the trunk lid, hood, front fenders and eventually door panels (not the door frames at least in a first moment), a simplified (then also lightened) trim, including the seats. I could also suggest some manually-adjustable seatbelts instead of the retractible ones, but the American customer would hate it...
Most of these modifications will be possible with the diesel variant as well as chip tunes in the future. Carbon fiber hoods and body kits are simple do it yourself projects. Seat swaps as well as other light weight savings possibilities are all game. I am pretty sure the transmission 6MT swap will also be viable with some work! I spent a great deal of time in these cars testing them out. Aerodynamics I think can definitely be improved upon as well as gearing. However weight would be hard do dramatically reduce unless you go to the extremes such as creating your own mid engined rear wheel drive variant in your own light weight custom chassis. Like a guy who did it with a VW TDI which is the co founder of Factory Five Racing BTW.

Here is a link to the mid engined RMR TDI kitcar design = Mark Smith on home built cars and small business America

GH
Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #57 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
... I am pretty sure the transmission 6MT swap will also be viable with some work! I spent a great deal of time in these cars testing them out...
GH
Even if there was a way to mate the diesel with the 6MT and reprogram the computers, I doubt the ratios would be able to change to accommodate the lower RPM capability of the diesel. I would so jump on a row-your-own with a diesel, but automatic only is a sad sad situation.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There are all ready transmission and engine tunes for the automatic and manual transmission versions. The transmission was overbuilt so it can with stand more torque and horsepower than the 1.4L turbo can put out. Also one thing to note is that the 1.4L turbo makes its max rpm low in its rpm range if I remember right it was around 1,750rpm which is very similar to a diesel in that regard.

I agree that only having the automatic option is sad. I definitely would have loved to see a manual option for sure. If the Cruze diesel manages to stay around for a while this may be something they offer down the road with enough demand from the consumer market.

GH..
Old 07-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
If the Cruze TD were available in a lighter weight Eco variant with a taller geared manual transmission, I have no doubt that highway figure could be increased to 48 MPG or more.
But that mythical creature doesn't exist in America so its a moot point. The Cruze Eco is the one to get if you care about fuel economy and running cost. Save the automatic cruze diesel for the pozers.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #60 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
2013 Cruze diesel sales

Note that it wasn't a full year (deliveries started in May). Also, it wasn't available in all states initially.

Still:

Quote:
Chevy delivered 3,028 Cruze Diesel models--with a price starting at $24,000--from May through December 31. That's about 1.2 percent of the total 248,224 Cruzes sold in 2013.
Anybody know what the Cruze ECO numbers are?

VS. the Jetta:

Quote:
The Volkswagen Jetta TDI ... sold 26,587 units in 2013. That represents almost one out of every five Jetta sedans sold in the U.S.
Source: Diesel Vs Electric Chevrolet: Cruze Diesel Vs Volt Sales In 2013

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread