View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #56 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I might admit I considered quite dumb to not make the Diesel available with the Eco trim, or even a version specifically oriented for fuel savings with hand-cranked windows, some lightened body panels made out of fiberglass for the trunk lid, hood, front fenders and eventually door panels (not the door frames at least in a first moment), a simplified (then also lightened) trim, including the seats. I could also suggest some manually-adjustable seatbelts instead of the retractible ones, but the American customer would hate it...
Most of these modifications will be possible with the diesel variant as well as chip tunes in the future. Carbon fiber hoods and body kits are simple do it yourself projects. Seat swaps as well as other light weight savings possibilities are all game. I am pretty sure the transmission 6MT swap will also be viable with some work! I spent a great deal of time in these cars testing them out. Aerodynamics I think can definitely be improved upon as well as gearing. However weight would be hard do dramatically reduce unless you go to the extremes such as creating your own mid engined rear wheel drive variant in your own light weight custom chassis. Like a guy who did it with a VW TDI which is the co founder of Factory Five Racing BTW.

Here is a link to the mid engined RMR TDI kitcar design = Mark Smith on home built cars and small business America

GH