View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #257 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
My insight tells me that the generator is ALWAYS going to be some fraction as efficient as the pusher in the right hands, except maybe for some fluke edge conditions, using today's technology anyway. It is a reasonable conclusion.
Yep, I would agree... Based on the scenarios I presented, I don't see where the genset would make sense from an efficiency point of view. Yes, the genset can be used for other things, but that doesn't make it the most efficient choice, just the most useful choice.

IamIan - what I saw in your response to P-hack is that the individual components are more efficient than originally stated... but I didn't see anything you wrote that indicates the overall genset-to-wheels path is more efficient (from a gph consumption perspective) than a ICE-to-pusher-wheels path. I did my best with my scenarios using same vehicles and what I would consider to be realistic scenarios and could not get it to work out in favor of the genset. Do you have a realistic scenario where you can get it to work out in favor of the genset? If so, could you please share?