View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
wow this is an awesome website. Been reading up on some of the amazing projects people have completed.

so ive got a list of tradeoffs and things I could do and things I shouldn't too keep this as a usable work vehicle.

Things I have to keep-

1. Rear doors must open completely and not be interfered with
2. Sliding door must open completely and not be interfered with
3. Current length should remain the same (parking and maneuvering advantages of this particular van I don't want to lose
4. Have to keep the rear bumper (work van necessity)
5. Huge mirrors I must keep for towing and maneuvering, (though smaller side mirrors and strap on tow mirrors are a possibility)

Things I can do-

1. Baby moon hubcaps
2. Rear wheel covers (though passenger side might be an issue with sliding door)
3. Encapsulate the underneath
4. fairing for the wipers
5. Chin spoiler of some type
6. fold down utility rack that I hope to have drop beneath some kind of fairing

Thats just on aerodynamic mods, then I can can turn to the efficiency of engine components and such.

Id also like to preserve a reasonable ground clearance for job sites in rough areas, the rear of this van will actually be lifted approximately 1.5 inches once i get around to swapping out the rear spings.

If I am reading correctly, when doing a chin spoiler, it should come down to the lowest point of the underside and things should be flat from there?
A fresh set of rear springs will help a lot.
My suburban was sitting so low that the trailer hitch would scrape on some of the steeper curb ramps. It was also riding really rough even with new shocks, wish I had replaced the rear springs years ago.

I put a set of used C20 (3/4 ton 2wd) leaf springs on the rear of my suburban, it rides so much better now. The springs were not factory original to the truck they came out of, they had fresh paint.

With a chin spoiler or air dam the lower the better. Put it as low as possible with out tearing it off.

If you have 15 inch steel wheels you could throw on a set of these:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eel-22003.html