View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #52 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
IamIan -- awesome screen name.

#1> Will you be looking into that?

#2> I understand Edison2 likes the EPA test cycle.
thanks, I like it too

- - - - - -

#1> I have no source to get the data about the two systems Edison used... I am not aware that they ever released that detail ... or that they ever will.

I have multiple times ... for different projects ... looked into similar issues ... and the data has so far only reinforced my position that which is best ... is determined by the details of the situation ... there is no one ideal ... there is no always better ... etc.

There are good engineering reasons why a freight train does it the way it does it ... for the situation it has ... same for large ships ... Formula 1 cars ... solar race cars ... tanks ... Bulldozers ... The Crawler Transporter ... etc ... etc.

#2> I've also heard similar ... but that isn't good enough ... is that what they did in both cases? ... if it could be verified that in both the 44MPG and the 100MPG results they in both cases firm stuck to the EPA drive cycle ... that would be sufficient data to be able to reconstruct the joule/mile energy use comparison ... but I have no source to be able to do that ... and as far as I know Edison has not released that ... and will not publish that level of detail , about the situation/conditions of the two runs.

I have studied , tested , etc ... how changes in the operation use effect vehicle dynamics and performance ... and it too do far has only served to reinforce my position ... there are reasons why even with the identical car one person can get 160MPG and someone else can get 50MPG ... or why one time a sailboat went 10 mph and another time the same boat went 2 mph... or why people who live in or drive in cities experience different average MPG than those who live on flat open spaces ... etc... etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Well I am pro-parallel (mostly parallel) until it looks like *I* or any other willing and trained driver (or a glorified automaton) could get better efficiency with a series. I don't see how that is going to happen anytime soon. Infrastructure and batteries (and other EV efficiency improvements) are likely to become significantly better in the same time frame, reducing the need for hybridization significantly.

I can easily see series taking over in production due to the sheer simplicity/cost of it (at a significant efficiency penalty), combined with all the misinformation/rationalizations, but that is not an efficiency enabling technology for people who know what is going on under the hood. But it is also worth noting that even the volt has adopted a partly parallel strategy before going to production.
You are welcome to be pro anything you like... and I wish you nothing but the best in efforts for increased efficiency ... whatever path you take.

But , fair warning ... don't expect me to just agree with your claims ... just because you claim something ... or because you say it is so ... I have evidence and reasons for my positions ... To be convincing , to me ... expect to be required to present more/better evidence/references than I already have.

Especial don't expect me to agree about any type of absolute claim ... no matter the subject ... they reek of inaccuracy to me ... including the four claims like that , that it seems you are making above.

I will refrain from picking each one of those apart ... this time ... for the sake of post brevity ... instead I will try the tactic of leaving it ... just with this explanation ... that such types of absolute claims reek of inaccuracy, incorrectness , and errors ... at least to me they do.

Even if I might have agreed to a different ... non-absolute version of that same claim ... I will most of the time disagree with the absolute version of that same claim.