View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #50 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Even if you're using the slow lane, if you're forcing semi trucks to pass you on the left in the fast lane, you're impeding traffic. Get off the freeway and use side streets.
Your attitude is exactly the mindset of the bad drivers we have been talking about in the thread. It's your road, right? Everyone needs to get out of your way because you have places to be. What you don't seem to comprehend is that everyone has a right to the road, providing they follow the laws. That means I have the right to go 55, and you have the right to drive 70 mph. Despite how you feel about slow speeds, I can do it all I want and you have to deal with it.

Speed limits are limits. A 70 mph speed limit doesn't mean everyone has to go 70 mph. In fact, the minimum speed limit on my highway is 40 mph. So legally I can drive as slow as 40 mph. The idea that the speed limit is the required speed is absurd. Every study ever done about traffic accidents shows that the slower you drive the safer you are. Beyond that benefit, I get 10-15% better fuel economy from going 55 compared to going 70.

As for your comment about being rear ended, please come to KC and rear end my car. Your insurance will be paying for my totaled car, and I can buy a new one! But even though you will be cited for the accident, and your insurance will be paying for my costs, according to you I only have myself to blame.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
AlaricD (08-15-2013), doviatt (07-31-2013), elhigh (07-31-2013), Frank Lee (07-31-2013), Pawtuckett (08-05-2013), SentraSE-R (07-31-2013)