Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Exactly. Many times when I've been tempted to write a Letter To The Editor of the local paper about something, I realize that the morons that need to see it probably can't or don't read.
Or they can read, but they're reading it on their RSS feed while tailgating you.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #42 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Sometimes going faster than your optimum speed is best overall.
Best in what way?
Best because it causes fewer problems.

We're not in a zombie movie and we don't live in Mogadishu. Society is a cooperative venture and to make it work we have to make little sacrifices. Donations, if you will. The highway I commute on is a community. It's full of morons and a-holes, but by and large we follow a set of rules together that generally gets us all to work on time. It's posted 55, but the police don't notice anyone who isn't at least in the mid 70s. At 55 that makes me 10 mph slower than the main flow of traffic and about 15 mph slower than the fastest. My POS has such horrible aero and gearing that it gets its best mileage at around 40. That would be doable in a 55 if traffic were actually doing 55, but it's really a 70. I like to keep the speed differential down below 20, so I have the cruise at 55 and generally let my glides go down to 50. I'm not all that happy with it, but I'm also not turning the road ito a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
sheepdog 44 (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Even if you're using the slow lane, if you're forcing semi trucks to pass you on the left in the fast lane, you're impeding traffic. Get off the freeway and use side streets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjts1 For This Useful Post:
sendler (08-03-2013), t vago (08-06-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Nobody is forcing truckers to do anything.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Team Honda
So the slowest guy on the road is, by definition, impeding traffic no matter how many other lanes are available? That's amusing.

I'm actually a part of the traffic too, believe it or not. I'm just not the most anxious part of it. It's not my job to make the speed demons not notice that I'm there, but I do go out of my way to minimize my impact on them. If that's not good enough for them then they can rot. If that upsets them too badly then I'll cheerfully play. It's been a few years since my last deliberate (it wasn't an accident), but I've got no problem making a bowl of riceboy soup.

Quote:

Old 07-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Nobody is forcing truckers to do anything.
YOU are forcing them to pass by breaking the law and blocking traffic. Take responsibility for your own actions.
Quote:
V C Section 22400 Minimum Speed Law

(a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.

No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(b) Whenever the Department of Transportation determines on the basis of an engineering and traffic survey that slow speeds on any part of a state highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the department may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle, except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law, when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected along the part of the highway for which a minimum speed limit is established.

Subdivision (b) of this section shall apply only to vehicles subject to registration.

Amended Ch. 364, Stats. 1979. Effective January 1, 1980.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
So the slowest guy on the road is, by definition, impeding traffic no matter how many other lanes are available? That's amusing.

I'm actually a part of the traffic too, believe it or not. I'm just not the most anxious part of it. It's not my job to make the speed demons not notice that I'm there, but I do go out of my way to minimize my impact on them. If that's not good enough for them then they can rot. If that upsets them too badly then I'll cheerfully play. It's been a few years since my last deliberate (it wasn't an accident), but I've got no problem making a bowl of riceboy soup.
When you get rear ended, you only have yourself to blame.

Last edited by tjts1; 07-31-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #47 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Wha?

Quote:

Old 07-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
YOU are forcing them to pass by breaking the law and blocking traffic. Take responsibility for your own actions. BLAH BLAH BLAH

There are minimum speed limts and if you are above them, everyone else including the cops can pish off.

I've never been rear-ended but WE ALL KNOW who is at fault when it happens.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
While there are a lot of occasion for bad behavior I will say a majority of traffic I see every day moves along just fine weather I am around or not. I will say most drivers are completely unaware of my speed or position but they know I'm there. They are content to just go with the flow. I stay out of their way. I am not a nuisance nor do I impede traffic. There are many lanes to pass safely on my left which as good sheep and attentive drivers they usually do if needed without thought or effort.
The emphasis of this thread seems to be addressing the selfish, intolerant, aggressive, inattentive drivers. There is no help for them. Even normal traffic flow will upset them because of situations they create.
I actually see more cars willing to match my speed in effort to save fuel and be safe than I do of the occasional intolerant ones trying to pass on the right. The friendly travelers have no need to pass and give lots of buffer room. They know why I travel in the slow lane and attach themselves for the right reasons. A majority of society can be painted with a positive brush. Sometimes it takes lots of effort....

Last edited by doviatt; 07-31-2013 at 05:22 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Even if you're using the slow lane, if you're forcing semi trucks to pass you on the left in the fast lane, you're impeding traffic. Get off the freeway and use side streets.
Your attitude is exactly the mindset of the bad drivers we have been talking about in the thread. It's your road, right? Everyone needs to get out of your way because you have places to be. What you don't seem to comprehend is that everyone has a right to the road, providing they follow the laws. That means I have the right to go 55, and you have the right to drive 70 mph. Despite how you feel about slow speeds, I can do it all I want and you have to deal with it.

Speed limits are limits. A 70 mph speed limit doesn't mean everyone has to go 70 mph. In fact, the minimum speed limit on my highway is 40 mph. So legally I can drive as slow as 40 mph. The idea that the speed limit is the required speed is absurd. Every study ever done about traffic accidents shows that the slower you drive the safer you are. Beyond that benefit, I get 10-15% better fuel economy from going 55 compared to going 70.

As for your comment about being rear ended, please come to KC and rear end my car. Your insurance will be paying for my totaled car, and I can buy a new one! But even though you will be cited for the accident, and your insurance will be paying for my costs, according to you I only have myself to blame.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
AlaricD (08-15-2013), doviatt (07-31-2013), elhigh (07-31-2013), Frank Lee (07-31-2013), Pawtuckett (08-05-2013), SentraSE-R (07-31-2013)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread