View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #63 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Fortunately, I've never had any problems with police due to driving well below the speed limit. In fact, a Sheriffs deputy loves to set up a speed trap at the bottom of a large hill in the median of the highway. I pass him 2-3 nights a week on my way home from work at about 12 AM. He must have a good laugh when I drive by going 55 mph. I will add that when I began to drive slow, I often worried about being stopped just because I was driving suspiciously (well, what some would consider suspicious).

I'll add in another piece of advice for potential slow hypermilers on the highway. On-ramps need to be observed closely! Most drivers believe you are suppose to accelerate to the speed limit before actually entering the highway. If you are approaching a merging on-ramp and see no one on it, that doesn't mean someone won't fly out of nowhere! I have had this happen several times over the last few months. It is common courtesy to merge over and let them on the highway, and I always do this if the left lane is clear. However, you may want to slow down or speed up if merging left would cut other cars off. Generally it's better to speed up/slow down and let the merging cars flow smoothly onto the highway than to merge over and block the passing lane, or risk confusing the merging drivers by staying in the right lane too long.