Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #61 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
I've had 3 run ins with the law for driving to slowly (approx 60 mph in a 70mph max 45mph min zone) my guess is cops looking for someone standing out then needing to justify their actions.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #62 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Two thirds of my motorcycle insurance premium is for "uninsured motorists". This is in a state where you are required to carry insurance under penalty of law. Thats because a lot of drivers leave the scene after they wipe out a person on a bike.

Knowing that, when I am on my bike, the last thing you will see me do is try to influence the driving habits of the stoned, uninsured, habitual offender, who is 10 feet from my back tire at 45 MPH+, and intoxicated.

regards
Mech

I'll just add that my last insurance claim (first in 9 years) was uninsured / comprehensive due to a hit and run. So, yeah, I understand the pricing.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon

Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Fortunately, I've never had any problems with police due to driving well below the speed limit. In fact, a Sheriffs deputy loves to set up a speed trap at the bottom of a large hill in the median of the highway. I pass him 2-3 nights a week on my way home from work at about 12 AM. He must have a good laugh when I drive by going 55 mph. I will add that when I began to drive slow, I often worried about being stopped just because I was driving suspiciously (well, what some would consider suspicious).

I'll add in another piece of advice for potential slow hypermilers on the highway. On-ramps need to be observed closely! Most drivers believe you are suppose to accelerate to the speed limit before actually entering the highway. If you are approaching a merging on-ramp and see no one on it, that doesn't mean someone won't fly out of nowhere! I have had this happen several times over the last few months. It is common courtesy to merge over and let them on the highway, and I always do this if the left lane is clear. However, you may want to slow down or speed up if merging left would cut other cars off. Generally it's better to speed up/slow down and let the merging cars flow smoothly onto the highway than to merge over and block the passing lane, or risk confusing the merging drivers by staying in the right lane too long.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
Most drivers believe you are suppose to accelerate to the speed limit before actually entering the highway.
Yeah, because that's what on-ramps are for. Get your acceleration done before you have to merge in. I hate when people try to enter the freeway in front of me when they're going 50mph, then i have to coast and wait for their slow asses to get up to speed. That is obstructing traffic.

Whatever speed you're planning on driving, try to match the speed of the lane you're merging into- it's called a zipper effect when done right.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-01-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Yeah, because that's what on-ramps are for. Get your acceleration done before you have to merge in. I hate when people try to enter the freeway in front of me when they're going 50mph, then i have to coast and wait for their slow asses to get up to speed. That is obstructing traffic.

Whatever speed you're planning on driving, try to match the speed of the lane you're merging into- it's called a zipper effect when done right.
Haha what about people like me entering the highway at 55 mph?

What I really meant was that people accelerate very rapidly and just because you look and don't see anyone on the ramp, that doesn't mean someone isn't going to be there when you actually get to the merging point. When you drive 55-60 mph like me, and you have drivers going 70-75 mph on the on-ramp, you just need to watch out so you don't block the merging car in.

There are a couple on-ramps on my drive that you cannot see entering cars until just before their lane enters the highway. Several times I have looked, saw that there was no one there, then a few seconds later as I am at the merge point a car is suddenly in my blind spot. When you have a 20 mph difference the car can sneak up on you pretty quick.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #66 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
Haha what about people like me entering the highway at 55 mph?

What I really meant was that people accelerate very rapidly and just because you look and don't see anyone on the ramp, that doesn't mean someone isn't going to be there when you actually get to the merging point.
There is your admission, in your own words - "just because you look and don't see..."

What can we say about someone who looks and doesn't see? None are so blind as those who say that they look but still do not see.

The speed of a vehicle when entering a highway is not addressed by traffic laws. What IS important is that those entering must yield to traffic on the highway, meaning an observance of right of way is required as a universal rule of the road.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
I've had 3 run ins with the law for driving to slowly (approx 60 mph in a 70mph max 45mph min zone) my guess is cops looking for someone standing out then needing to justify their actions.
Did you get a ticket?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #68 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Looking at an on ramp and not seeing someone in this instance is because that person isn't there yet (he'll accelerate quickly to get there, though). Everyone's got to be careful of ramp areas, whether they're going for mpg or mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheEgg - '18 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
90 day: 29.55 mpg (US)
I generally do 60 indicated (really more like 58 according to my GPS) on the 65 mph highways around here. I've never had a real issue, but two guys in modded Duramax Chevy's intentionally "sooted" me after they had to pass.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #70 (permalink)
In the slow lane

Civic Type R - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
What a revealing thread.

In the UK there are no minimum speed limits; I get a strong feeling here of a concept that the maximum is actually the "required" speed in the US. In the UK the maximum speed is the speed you may not legally surpass, no more than that. You can go as slow as you like. I believe this is based on the theory that slower is safer, and should be encouraged as such.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread