View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #445 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
You are on Fuelly's Fit 2009 list, but your mpg does not show up on the bar diagram for all Fits.
That's probably cause only bars are shown for MPG ratings that have at least 2 cars achieving it.
Find a Fit buddy that does 60 mpg too...

Sumtin' else.
I heard my rad fan kick to life for the first time ever (in 18,000 km) today!
Caught in a traffic jam in sweltering heat (the MID showed 40C outside, guess it was 'just' 35C). Airco was running. LGB in place as ever.
I monitor my air intake temp and saw it rise quickly from say 45C to way above 60C!
The fans cool the rads, but the warm air has nowhere to go cause the engine bay is pretty much closed up and inevitably finds its way into the air intake.
I killed the AC, fan stopped immediately, temp did rise no more.
Traffic loosened up, temp went down quickly. Engine was running fine all the time even despite the high 60's.

It puzzled me cause in winter, with the LGB and intake air drawn directly from behind the rad, I found that FE suffered on the highway if the air was hotter than say 40C.
Then I realized my car has EGR. On the highway the exhaust is hot as the engine produces a lot of power and heat. In a traffic jam it is idling most of the time; and even though the engine itself will be warm the exhaust system will be less warm than under load, and so will the gas entering the EGR, compensating for the hotter intake air.

So apparently warm intake air on an engine with EGR does no harm as long as the load on the engine is (very) light.

Today was exceptionally hot, which made too many people at the same time make the decision to go cool off in our island-and-peninsula province of Zeeland. So all roads leading into Zeeland turned into creeping road blocks. Took me 90 minutes extra to bring my kid to my inlaws for a stayover, and another hour extra on the way back. I love my car but I'm toast. I can run the AC on full, recirculation etc. that helps but I cannot hide from direct sunlight through the side window. For hours. Ahhh well.

Tomorrow will be even hotter, will likely break the all time high (37.6C or so) for our country. Traffic will be worse too. I sure hope nobody dies.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 08-01-2013 at 04:15 PM..