View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #46 (permalink)
whokilledthejams
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
What I'd like as a feature in an ICE drive train, is the same mechanism in the back wheel of a bike, which allow the back wheel to spin freely, when you stop pedaling.

Then you don't have always go to neutral.
Older SAABs had a freewheeling feature, because they came with two-stroke engines (I forget precisely why, but you can't engine brake with a two-stroke). They even carried it over into some of the early four-stroke 96's.

As for those decrying the frontal area of a VW front beam: those cars are really, really small compared to anything modern. Of course, I can't find the track width of a VW Type 1, but I did find that Class 5-1600 Baja VWs are limited to a front track of 55.5". This is with modified desert-racing suspension. Stock is going to be several inches narrower-- I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's only 50" or so.

Desert Rides :: Racing Classes

For example, the front track of my xB is 57.3". That's substantially wider, despite being considered a subcompact vehicle.

The other distinct advantages of tadpole trikes lie in extremely stable handling, and potentially smaller frontal area than a car, because one could be made extremely low overall (think along the lines of a Porsche 550 Speedster with most of the rear end missing). Admittedly, it's a compromise between a car and a bike, but I feel a trike offers the best of both, despite the obvious aerodynamic limitations.