View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
SVOboy
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
"Hypermiler" pulled over for driving too slow

No offense, but this guy sounds like a tool. 95 is near me and I've also driven on it in maryland, and if there isn't heavy traffic, driving 50 seems to me like asking to get hit. Also, completely disregarding what the police say about safety in order to get a few MPG is not the smartest thing, nor does it make sensible ecodrivers like us look good when he flaunts the law all over the news.

As I always say, safety first, courtesy second, fuel economy third.

Quote:
Gas prices are soaring and many drivers are looking to save any way they can.

One Maryland motorist is trying to squeeze every bit of milage he can from his hybrid even by changing his driving habits.

But it was exactly that effort that got him pulled over by police on I-95 recently.

It's no secret Glenn Conrad is pumped over the mileage his Honda hybrid gets around town.

"I strive for 70, 70 miles per gallon and if I get 80 miles a gallon or more, I feel really nice about that," said Glenn.

Glenn admits he's what's known as a hypermiler, someone who stretches their car's miles per gallon by changing driving habits.

On the night of June 12th, Glenn was hypermiling on I-95.

"I was just doing what I do. On the down hills the thing would roll up to 65 miles an hour and on the uphill I would punch the gas until it reached 55 miles-an-hour or 50 puttering down the road," Glenn explained.

So imagine his surprise when a Maryland State Trooper pulled him over on his way to BWI airport.

"He asked, Mr. Conrad why are you driving 50 miles-an-hour back there on I-95? I said, I'm saving gas. He said saving gas? I said yea and looked at my readout and said I'm getting 69 miles to the gallon right now," said Glenn.

Instead of mileage the trooper was concerned with motorist safety and issued Glenn a warning for going 50 miles-an-hour, 15 miles-an-hour under the posted speed limit.

"Speed limits aren't just put there just because the state decides what they want. It's because of fuel conservation and the safety of the other motorists and the motorists around you on the highways," said Sgt. Chris Davala of the Maryland State Police.

AAA officials agree and say going too slow is a hazard.

"The optimum speed for saving gas is probably 55 or a little above that right now. The thought that you are saving gas by going 45 or 50 on a high speed road isn't accurate. It's very very very dangerous," said Lon Anderson of AAA MidAtlantic.

As for Glenn Conrad, he says he won't go 50 on the interstate again.

"Oh no. Now I drive 51 on I-95 anyways," said Glenn.