View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
First fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
I figured out today on the Cobalt if I have the heat on the AC runs, if I blend it just far enough with vents the AC doesn't run.

I often run heat to the floor to get enough air to defog the windshield without turning to defrost where AC run's for sure. If you can't tell if the AC is running, it also won't allow to recycle the air when not blended enough. I can see gph jump about 0.1 when AC is on as well.
Annoying, right? Why not just let the driver control the car? Have these settings as options on the controls.

FIRST FILL: 454 miles divided by 12.588 gallons = 36.07 mpg. The car is rated 22/26/33.

That is allowing for possible pump variation because you cannot pump your own gas in New Jersey and I did not do the fills at the same station. It is also with the handicap of tires at 30/31 psi instead of the 40psi three of the four tires require (the last is rated 51 psi). I also was only just learning how to hypermile this car.

I have long freeway trips today and in the coming days. I now know this car pretty well. And the tires are all at 40psi. But I did refill with cheap "10% Alch" gasoline.

-james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.