View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #138 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Frank Lee

Quote:
I'm still interested in the legal theory that allows me to go whatever speed I want as long as I have accomplices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
It is obviously already in practice. Half of the cars on the highway drive faster than 75 mph in a 65 zone. If only 1 car in 100 were driving 75, 76 mph would get you a ticket every time but it doesn't.
It's technically not legal under the described circumstance. But it IS grounds to raise the speed limit.

"Traffic engineers maintain that speed limits should be established according to the 85th percentile of free flowing traffic. This means the limit should be set at a level at or under which 85 percent of people are driving. Numerous studies have shown that the 85th percentile is the safest possible level at which to set a speed limit." Read the entire explanation - "This means the limit should be set at a level at or under which 85 percent of people are driving. Numerous studies have shown that the 85th percentile is the safest possible level at which to set a speed limit."

Read the entire explanation of how speed limits are set - CLICK HERE

The police in some states realize this and they do not want their summonses questioned or contested under the 85th percentile rule. It's easier to allow the first 10 MPH over the limit rather than have the speed limit itself contested or raised - and there is valid reason to raise it if 85% of the people are driving faster than the posted limit.

The Following User Says Thank You to XYZ For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-09-2013)