View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #140 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
"Traffic engineers maintain that speed limits should be established according to the 85th percentile of free flowing traffic. This means the limit should be set at a level at or under which 85 percent of people are driving. Numerous studies have shown that the 85th percentile is the safest possible level at which to set a speed limit." Read the entire explanation - "This means the limit should be set at a level at or under which 85 percent of people are driving. Numerous studies have shown that the 85th percentile is the safest possible level at which to set a speed limit."
Tell me about it- I posted it here:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post382629

However, "85th" isn't gospel or on one of the Ten Commandments tablets:
Quote:
This means the limit should be set at a level at or under which 85 percent of people are driving.
There are factors other than safety that are figured in too.

Quote:
The police in some states...
- as noted, in my state you will be cited at quite a bit less than 10 over. Regardless, I don't think anybody behind me will pony up the dough for my ticket should I speed up enough to appease them (if that is even possible). That being the case, I'm not going to expose myself to fines and fees and cavity searches and time wasted at roadside to appease those who don't have a stake in my finances. I don't let strangers handle my luggage at airports before it's checked in either.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 08-08-2013 at 03:18 PM..