View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
jedi_sol
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizzleccc View Post
When looking at the wiki I took that as more as a gap filler vs what I am talking about is more of something to help direct airflow away from the trailing edge of the wheel well. Similar to the idea of not wanting air flow through the wipers, creating a lip directs air over the wipers. My thought is that kicking air out away from the car, for the duration of the wheel well, and having the air make contact again on the other side of the wheel well where the body is smooth.

The idea is some of the benefits of a front skirt without the issue of worrying about reducing steering travel.
i see what you're talking about, but i think making smooth transition of air over the wheel would be more beneficial.

The reason why lips-over-windshield wipers work is because the windshield wipers are stationary...so yes, air can flow up and over the wiper.

Your idea of directing air away from the wheel well might not be a good idea because 1)it'll cause more drag by increasing frontal area 2)you also have to consider that the spinning wheels themselves are already creating swirly whirly air. So if you think about it, you're just introducting swirly air from the lip into swirly air from tires.

a smooth wheel cover or the gap fillers from the wiki would be more beneficial.

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html