View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #54 (permalink)
Allch Chcar
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Tele-man you forgot the important part.

Quote:
Ethanol—adding a 15 volume percent ethanol specification to be forward-looking with respect to the maximum gasoline ethanol concentration Tier 3 vehicles could expect to encounter. EPA recently issued a waiver under section 211(f)(4) of the CAA permitting E15 to beintroduced into commerce for use in MY2001 and newer light-duty motor vehicles. [320] While E15 is only commercially available at a limited number of fuel retailers, EPA believes it could become a major gasoline blend over the next 10-15 years given instability in crude oil pricing and growing RFS2 renewable fuel requirements. The use of E15 as the emission test fuel will help ensure that all future vehicles are capable of meeting Tier 3 emission standards while operating on E15.
Now that the EPA has certified E15 for all 2001+ vehicles, they want to require manufacturers to test on E15. They not only continue to support E15, they believe it will become common as time goes on. I do like that they are following through on increasing the base quantity of Ethanol. I have gone back and forth on this a few times myself. What I really want them to do is push for more Flexfuel vehicles and then E85 optimized engines.

Automakers have long wanted to increase the octane levels in fuels. Not just for more powerful engines but greater fuel efficiency. The premium price of premium has long been a deterrent. That is absolutely why we should get behind the EPA's E30 proposal for the Tier III program. Automakers will then have incentive to make more engines designed for Premium octane fuel which can then run on your choice of Premium Gasoline or a Premium mid blend of Ethanol. This is a good use for Ethanol and promotes greater efficiency.