View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.16 mpg (US)
Hi,
I am experiencing a culture shock similar to yours. I've been easily able to tease excellent numbers out of my truck, but my HCH hasn't been as responsive. I think your assumption is bang on: the hybrid design presumes better mileage and to a degree the way the drivetrain is programmed will game the EPA testing. That last bit is actually a suspicion of mine, not trying to assign it to you.

So the EPA testing will post good numbers - on a dyno - that are more reflective of the idealized driving that hypermilers do, and it's harder to beat them.

I've had some positive results by dipping into the battery for pulses, to get out of the high-consumption portion of my driving more quickly and spend more time on the glides. I save the inertia-eating regen portions for some of the many long downhills I have to contend with, and that seems to be working okay so far. I'm about 20% above EPA at this point, but I need to add some aero mods if I'm going to crack 50. I don't think I have wit enough to carry the HCH much beyond what it's doing without any mods.

Also, you have exposed rear wheels. I wonder if Toyota is holding off covering those until they need to make the next-gen Prius even more economical?

Lead or follow. Either is fine.