View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 01:12 AM   #46 (permalink)
Twerp
Modified Driver

Frozen Tundra - '03 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5 Access Cab
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)

Red Skateboard - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 45.49 mpg (US)
I've considered a hub kit for my truck, but in the end, the possible gains couldn't justify the cost. Fortunately, hypermiling works pretty well for me so far.

I also had a truck/motorcycle combo for a while and I figured out that it would be more cost effective if I traded the motorcycle for a Civic. I've found that motorcycles cost more to maintain (ever blow a fork seal or need to have a valve job done? Oh, tires?) and there is just something nice about having a roof over your head when it is cold and rainy out. True, if you get your hands on a little 250 Nighthawk or Ninja, you could get over 80mpg some of the time, but don't count on that kind of mileage with a bigger bike.

My bike used to get about 40mpg, but I wasn't driving for economy. I figure I could have squeezed 50 out of it, but I'm betting that I can get at least 40 out of the Civic and I should be able to drive that comfortably in any weather except for heavy snow. So I haven't done the math, but I think 40 mpg for 95% of the year will be better than 50mpg for 50% of the year.

Then again, the Nighthawks are pretty cheap and easy so one of those might be worth the cost, especially if you live in a more temperate area. Just don't go getting a GSXR expecting to save much. Gas, maybe... Insurance, prolly not.