View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
One major caveat in deciding the "best" engine is that no matter what transmission it mates to, it has to be clutchless (auto, multi-mode, etc.). For this application, this just has to be.
What does make a manual unsuitable for you?

Quote:
The first I found is the 3ZZ and 4ZZ engines. There is nothing special about these engines (at least in terms of newer tech) except that they are smaller than the 1ZZ (3ZZ is 1.6L and 4ZZ is 1.4L), thus by default sipping less fuel. My worry, however, is whether or not they would be under powered, but international Corollas use these engines, so I don't think it would be an issue.
They're not underpowered at all, but the wrong gear selection would make them feel so...

Quote:
The next "find" was the 1ZR-FAE. It seems to be a better version of the ZZ family (at least for my needs). I like this engine, because it is smaller (1.6L) and offers Valvematic technology which varies the intake and exhaust timing and the intake valve lift (between 1mm and 11mm). The issue with using this engine is that it is only mated to a manual or a MMT (multi-mode manual). If the MMT is clutchless (say, paddle shifters), then this tranny will work for me.
At least the MMT has lesser friction losses than the 4-speed automatic