View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #222 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I think it actually takes a bit more.

It's nothing to cling to the fast-moving pack, which requires you to have quick reactions to avoid disasters but no planning or foresight. But taking it easy requires not just fighting the instinct to close the gap but also to observe the pack's activities at a deeper level. I can't just watch the car in front of me, I also have to watch four or five cars in front of him, and even farther if possible. I might have the cruise control on and the pack is most likely moving around me, but I can still catch up to a mess in one uncomfortable hurry.

It's a more relaxing drive in that I'm not constantly averting a collision by keeping up and holding a close following distance, but I'm working harder at maintaining a larger situational awareness picture. More info means being better able to guess future pack behavior, and then I can alter my behavior to minimize the pack's influence on my ride. When I see the pack starting to bunch up and brake lights come on, I'm already off the gas and easing into regen while still a half-mile back. With a little luck it might have cleared up by the time I get there and I'll have only scrubbed off a few percent of my kinetic energy, instead of most of it.
I agree, But I still see it as a way to work with the roads more effectively and be less likely to have a collision. And I'd like to go 55 nearly all the time on highways but now I know my mother would rather I go 60, At least for now.