Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #221 (permalink)
Ecomodest

The Van - '97 Chevy Astro AWD cargo van
90 day: 14.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I think it actually takes a bit more.

It's nothing to cling to the fast-moving pack, which requires you to have quick reactions to avoid disasters but no planning or foresight. But taking it easy requires not just fighting the instinct to close the gap but also to observe the pack's activities at a deeper level. I can't just watch the car in front of me, I also have to watch four or five cars in front of him, and even farther if possible. I might have the cruise control on and the pack is most likely moving around me, but I can still catch up to a mess in one uncomfortable hurry.

It's a more relaxing drive in that I'm not constantly averting a collision by keeping up and holding a close following distance, but I'm working harder at maintaining a larger situational awareness picture. More info means being better able to guess future pack behavior, and then I can alter my behavior to minimize the pack's influence on my ride. When I see the pack starting to bunch up and brake lights come on, I'm already off the gas and easing into regen while still a half-mile back. With a little luck it might have cleared up by the time I get there and I'll have only scrubbed off a few percent of my kinetic energy, instead of most of it.
Exactly

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #222 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16 mpg (US)
Quote:

It's nothing to cling to the fast-moving pack, which requires you to have quick reactions to avoid disasters but no planning or foresight. But taking it easy requires not just fighting the instinct to close the gap but also to observe the pack's activities at a deeper level. I can't just watch the car in front of me, I also have to watch four or five cars in front of him, and even farther if possible. I might have the cruise control on and the pack is most likely moving around me, but I can still catch up to a mess in one uncomfortable hurry.

It's a more relaxing drive in that I'm not constantly averting a collision by keeping up and holding a close following distance, but I'm working harder at maintaining a larger situational awareness picture. More info means being better able to guess future pack behavior, and then I can alter my behavior to minimize the pack's influence on my ride. When I see the pack starting to bunch up and brake lights come on, I'm already off the gas and easing into regen while still a half-mile back. With a little luck it might have cleared up by the time I get there and I'll have only scrubbed off a few percent of my kinetic energy, instead of most of it.
I agree, But I still see it as a way to work with the roads more effectively and be less likely to have a collision. And I'd like to go 55 nearly all the time on highways but now I know my mother would rather I go 60, At least for now.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:59 AM   #223 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Driving sounds really overwhelming for you. Its not for everyone. Have you considered surrendering your driver's license?

Old 08-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #224 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Still haven't made it down to the beach to unwind a bit, huh.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #225 (permalink)
Busy Homeowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Driving sounds really overwhelming for you. Its not for everyone. Have you considered surrendering your driver's license?
Understanding what it actually takes to drive safely and hypermile effectively sounds really overwhelming for you. It's not for everyone. Have you considered surrendering your driver's license?

No, of course you haven't, because that would be stupid. Please in future refrain from unhelpful and unnecessarily insulting comments. Didn't they teach you the golden rule as a child?

EDIT for the benefit of others: what elhigh posted is one of the best ways to ride a motorcycle and stay alive. If you're not anticipating, you're asking to be a statistic.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #226 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Who tinkled in your Cheerios? You seem to bring a lot of aggression to your posts.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 08-18-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #227 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Who tinkled in your Cheerios?
This should help you with the butthurt

The Following User Says Thank You to tjts1 For This Useful Post:
elhigh (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #228 (permalink)
Master Novice

Thanks for sharing the wisdom of your experience.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #229 (permalink)
Master Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Still haven't made it down to the beach to unwind a bit, huh.
Hope to. But when work calls me when I'm walking on the beach, I tell them I'm at the beach, and they ask me how quick could I get there to fix <fill in blank>.

"If I don't pack and start driving right now, twelve hours. Maybe."

And you can hear them talking it over in the background.

"Listen, isn't there another one right next to it? It's still working, right?"

"Well, yeah."

"Okay then. This was never an emergency, was it?"

"Well...no, I guess not."

*click*

Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #230 (permalink)
EcoModder-In-Training

Dumpmobile - '95 Honda Civic EX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.99 mpg (US)
Quote:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pawtuckett For This Useful Post:
Daekar (08-18-2013), elhigh (08-19-2013)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread