View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
The only advantage I can think of would be for EOC. The motor would die much quicker since their is less "momentum" in the engine.
Not only that, but when you are rebuilding parts of the car with the EOC in mind you know that you'll be cutting the engine anyway. That stored energy routinely gets "wasted" because we know the energy stored in the car as a whole is better maximized with the engine off. So flywheel weight matters less for us than it seems it would (for a "normal" driver). But then there is also how lots of us get to speed: I do P&G techniques most of the time--nearly all of the time on some routes. That means I'm at 75-80% load and acclerating virtually the whole time I am burning gasoline. I'm often accelerating from stop or low speed, in low gears that spin a lot per mile. Under conditions like that, a lighter flywheel makes sense, right? And at cruise, out on the freeway, I would think a lighter flywheel is less rotating mass for the engine to keep spinning. Seems like a win all around if you do P&G and EOC a lot.

I wish I could go back and do the swap, but someday by 207,000 mile clutch must wear out and then I'll be going back in, maybe with a lighter flywheel ready to go.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.