View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I don't understand your comment.
Just because it is recyclable and/or recycled, does not mean it is non-toxic. Believe me, I would rather them be recycled, but what I am wondering is if there is an environmentally friendly, non-toxic battery that can also be recycled. You mention these facilities that do everything in their power to not pollute the chemicals, because they know how toxic it would be if it was polluted into the ground. I'm not saying that is a bad thing and I am glad they do it, but if we had a non-toxic battery, that would not be as required.

Quote:
Find me any other industry that is that is less "environmentally horrific", I'd rather live next to a battery factory then pretty much any other industry.
I can think of a few, but what is the accepted meaning of "industry"? An organic, sustainable farm would be a nice place to live next to. Would you put a farm under the industry tab? What about an FSC forest farm and/or mill?

Quote:
Batteries made out of Potatoes on the other hand are pretty nasty, you are taking a high energy food and sticking a big chunk of copper and chunk of zinc in it, both of those metals are devastating to the environment to mine and refine and often end up in the trash instead of being recycled, the power output from the potato is also extremely low.
I get what you're saying about the potato battery, but wouldn't any battery of any kind still require some sort of (heavy) metals, which would at least put it on par with any other battery (at least in terms of toxicity)? Also, copper is highly recycled, so you would only have to worry about the zinc (I know copper is still mined, but you could presumably used recycled copper).

I wouldn't want to put a potato under my hood, but I was just wondering what sort of non-toxic batteries are available (either on the market, or just in research labs)?

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.