View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
My car does a kind of EOC coasting all by itself. The engine does not really shut off, but the valves will open completely and no gas is injected so the pistons move freely in clean air.
Instead of a conventional flywheel it has a generator/electric motor that can power it along while the hybrid battery is not depleted and the right pedal is being feathered. Coasts can last for more than a minute this way, just governed by the right foot. Bad for emissions? Tell Honda.
As the engine rotates even in EV mode anyting fed by the engine keeps working, like the oil pump and the brakes.

I still run the LGB. In winter while hypermiling it is a necessity to at least retain some of the little bit of heat. When I arrive at work after 36 km it is just beginning to warm the interior.
Even in summer I experience no problems. In fact my fans have kicked in only once, when stuck in a traffic jam at nearly 40°C running the AC at full blast. Killed the AC (recirculation on), fans died immediately.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.