View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
What some one with an upper grill blocker and a scanguage could do is select engine/coolent temp on one of the displayed guages and do an EOC and see what the guage reports. I suspect that there would be little if any change in engine temp. all engines heat socke when the car is stoped/parked and turned off which would be no different that turning off the engine when coasting. Although when coasting there is some cooling due to forward motion through the air...
I don't have a grille block but I did watch my coolant temperatures while doing P&G on one of my commutes. Before my ScanGauge I thought the engine was actually running cooler than normal because of the EOC. The factory gauge reported the temperature to be below where it normally sits while the engine runs constantly.

Come to find out the engine temps stayed right at the normal level while doing P&G. My civic stays at 193-198 degress F and that was were it was the entire commute, even though the factory gauge showed it was lower. I believe this is because the factory gauge shuts off when I EOC and it never had the chance to fully move up to the correct spot before I turned off the engine each time.

The best indicator of engine bay temps is the intake air temperature gauge on a ScanGauge. I don't have a grille block and mine has seen up to 130 degrees F in hot weather. If you block the grille you need to watch engine temp and IAT in order to see if the heat becomes excessive. You don't want the radiator fan to be running more than normal, and you don't want the engine bay to be close to the engine temps.

It should be noted that the materials inside the engine bay were designed for heat. The rubber hoses can withstand engine temps all day, some of mine run inches from the block itself. The belts are not only close to the engine, but they rotate at thousands of RPM's and I believe could generate a lot of heat just due to the friction alone. I don't believe for a second that running a grille block will shorten the life of any engine bay components.