Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
What some one with an upper grill blocker and a scanguage could do is select engine/coolent temp on one of the displayed guages and do an EOC and see what the guage reports. I suspect that there would be little if any change in engine temp. all engines heat socke when the car is stoped/parked and turned off which would be no different than turning off the engine when coasting. Although when coasting there is some cooling due to forward motion through the air...

Last edited by redyaris; 08-20-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
What some one with an upper grill blocker and a scanguage could do is select engine/coolent temp on one of the displayed guages and do an EOC and see what the guage reports. I suspect that there would be little if any change in engine temp. all engines heat socke when the car is stoped/parked and turned off which would be no different that turning off the engine when coasting. Although when coasting there is some cooling due to forward motion through the air...
I don't have a grille block but I did watch my coolant temperatures while doing P&G on one of my commutes. Before my ScanGauge I thought the engine was actually running cooler than normal because of the EOC. The factory gauge reported the temperature to be below where it normally sits while the engine runs constantly.

Come to find out the engine temps stayed right at the normal level while doing P&G. My civic stays at 193-198 degress F and that was were it was the entire commute, even though the factory gauge showed it was lower. I believe this is because the factory gauge shuts off when I EOC and it never had the chance to fully move up to the correct spot before I turned off the engine each time.

The best indicator of engine bay temps is the intake air temperature gauge on a ScanGauge. I don't have a grille block and mine has seen up to 130 degrees F in hot weather. If you block the grille you need to watch engine temp and IAT in order to see if the heat becomes excessive. You don't want the radiator fan to be running more than normal, and you don't want the engine bay to be close to the engine temps.

It should be noted that the materials inside the engine bay were designed for heat. The rubber hoses can withstand engine temps all day, some of mine run inches from the block itself. The belts are not only close to the engine, but they rotate at thousands of RPM's and I believe could generate a lot of heat just due to the friction alone. I don't believe for a second that running a grille block will shorten the life of any engine bay components.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Pretty remote from car tech, isn't it ?

Seeing the loggers on Discovery ... even taking into account it's for telly ... hardly representative for car use.
Run it hard until it breaks, then moan about it, seems to be the norm.

His milling equipment may well date a good while back, or be designed in old fashioned "unbreakable" style.
That equipment was easier to fix, and to keep running by adding ever more oil, thicker oil as they wore down, then new rings, resleeving ...
My Brother-n-law is school trained and certified. The mill does not run off of a water wheel anymore. Do you have any idea how much wood gets milled each day? Go to your local hardware store, there's a lot of downed trees in there. They have laser guided saws, trying to maximize boards per tree. What you see on TV is a highly edited version of the truth. But those are the lumber jacks, not the mill wrights. Mill wrights keep the mill running, that's where the money is made.

But I need to get him to read this thread. He brought up some intriguing points and I didn't know how to respond being in a subject he is intimately familiar with. Plus he should be able to fire back and add some fuel to the fire. I think it is good to be able to debate this type of thing.

EDIT: I think I need to remove the grille block off the Ranger and DWL with it and see where the engine winds up.

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall
Old 08-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #24 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
I was experiencing high coolant temperatures in Winter 2011-2012 with a full grill block. If I P&Ged (engine on), coolant temperatures stayed about 186ºF during highway trips. When I had to run the engine steadily, temperatures climbed to 204ºF. I later found I had a pinhole leak in a radiator hose, but the point was made. My engine ran cooler with engine on P&G than it did cruising at roughly the same steady speed.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
The Following User Says Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
101Volts (08-22-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Which may not go down well with the catalyst ...
(Referring specifically to bump starting): Why is that different to turning the engine over on the starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
My car does a kind of EOC coasting all by itself. The engine does not really shut off, but the valves will open completely and no gas is injected so the pistons move freely in clean air.
Are the valves open or are they closed? From the point of view of reducing pumping loss and air cooling the catalytic convertor, I'd say they're closed if they are being disabled.

Something else: The premise behind pulse and glide is to operate the engine at high load. I expect that is also going to wear out the engine faster than operating at 'normal' loads. Against that the duty cycle is lower.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
(about EV mode in the Insight: )
Are the valves open or are they closed? From the point of view of reducing pumping loss and air cooling the catalytic convertor, I'd say they're closed if they are being disabled.
The intake valves are wide open during that mode. Letting the air move freely in and out the engine at low revs does not put any stress on the piston, closing all valves all the time would either create a big vacuum on the downstroke or high compression on the upstroke, which cause much more friction.
Dunno about the output valves. It seems logical if they are kept closed, but haven't actually seen it.
This mode is operated by an extra camshaft (Honda VTec). The engine actually has 3 camshafts; EV mode, efficiency mode, power mode. A bit much for a simple 8 valve 4-potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
Something else: The premise behind pulse and glide is to operate the engine at high load. I expect that is also going to wear out the engine faster than operating at 'normal' loads. Against that the duty cycle is lower.
Load need not be realliy high, just efficient.
If your engine does 3000 RPM@60mph in top gear, it will probably lose more power on pumping losses than it produces. It could produce say 3 times as much power for just twice the fuel consumption by mildly accelerating at say 40% of WOT. You'd save 33% by P&G-ing then, but stress on the engine would still be way lower than what it is designed for.

My engine does just 1900 RPM or so at 60 mph so the throttle has to open further, and pumping losses are reduced. It is hard,maybe even impossible for me to gain anything by P&G-ing at highway speeds.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
"So my brother-n-law recently visited and was asking some interesting questions about some of the techniques I use. He works at a lumber mill in Oregon, specifically he is a mill wright. So he professionally does maintenance on heavy duty machinery. He is not an apprentice, he is a fully certified mill wright. A lot of his questions center around diesels, but overlap to gasoline.

1) Grille blocks, engine heating in the summer, engine insulation. He claims that higher temperatures for longer times is reducing the lifetime of the engine. He says that the higher temperatures actually change the molecular composition and weakens the metal."

Pshaw. The temps aren't that much higher. Insulation as it is on my stuff mainly serves to prolong cool-downs thus reduce cold starts while not increasing running temps- according to coolant gauge- all good stuff.

"2) Running thinner lubrication. He says that thinner lubes essentially run like water, increasing friction. So this adds excessive heat, which due to thermal expansion increases friction again. All in all, greatly increases wear."

I wouldn't go thinner than the OEM recommends for winter ops, but I run that year-around.

"3) EOC. Wears out batteries, wears out starters, wears out cooling system, wears out engine."

I usually bump start plus I have less urban/commuter ops than the average bear (more highway) so it's possible I am easier on the battery and starter than the average motorist! Re: wears out cooling system and engine: I fail to see how.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
elhigh (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGranger View Post
1) Grille blocks,
2) Running thinner lubrication.
3) EOC.
None of these seem to have significantly reduced the Longevity of the guy who past 500,000 Miles back on 4-5-2011 , on his 2000 Honda Insight ... which does some amount of all of these even in an OEM car even before any mods.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

We have all contemplated that issue b4

Add a Led light into your cooling fan circuit.
This light can tell you if your fan runs constantly or intermittantly.
It is harder to decipher the results if there is only a single fan but, after a
week you can see the trend develop of on and off cycles.
If it runs constant it is possible you left the A/c on and have that as false reading, if wired into wrong fan.
or mabe a grill block is blocking air that the system needs to get below the switch temp.
If you have an issue with your cooling system prior to grill block it will Let you know so.
Ive grill blocked 6 cars in last few months with no issues other than my own.
It ran the cooling fan constantly after the air dam blocked all frontal air completly. I left the small opening open and now fan runs for 45 seconds every 11 minutes unless Idleing then its still 45 sec.but more frequent.

ya get all that clear as mud eh? sorry im tired!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
I've been using EOC, bump-starting and other hypermiling techniques for decades on the same vehicle and can tell you that it doesn't appear to have affected the longevity of my vehicle negatively at all.

Since my truck is approaching "outlier" territory on the graph of vehicle ages, you start to think that mine was either built on a Wednesday or that hypermiling is sufficiently gentler to a vehicle that, other factors being equal, it lasts longer than a non-hypermiled vehicle.

When I add a grille block (need a new radiator first), I'll try it out for fifteen years or so and get back to you whether it seems to have killed the truck.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread