View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
MPGranger
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Pretty remote from car tech, isn't it ?

Seeing the loggers on Discovery ... even taking into account it's for telly ... hardly representative for car use.
Run it hard until it breaks, then moan about it, seems to be the norm.

His milling equipment may well date a good while back, or be designed in old fashioned "unbreakable" style.
That equipment was easier to fix, and to keep running by adding ever more oil, thicker oil as they wore down, then new rings, resleeving ...
My Brother-n-law is school trained and certified. The mill does not run off of a water wheel anymore. Do you have any idea how much wood gets milled each day? Go to your local hardware store, there's a lot of downed trees in there. They have laser guided saws, trying to maximize boards per tree. What you see on TV is a highly edited version of the truth. But those are the lumber jacks, not the mill wrights. Mill wrights keep the mill running, that's where the money is made.

But I need to get him to read this thread. He brought up some intriguing points and I didn't know how to respond being in a subject he is intimately familiar with. Plus he should be able to fire back and add some fuel to the fire. I think it is good to be able to debate this type of thing.

EDIT: I think I need to remove the grille block off the Ranger and DWL with it and see where the engine winds up.

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall