View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
jedi_sol
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
How to -Kill Switch 2013 Subaru Sti

This can serve as a reference for the few Sti owners out there that may want to do a kills switch for their car.

Currently i am still working on a better kill switch method, but here is my work so far. Once I finish my kill switch 2.0, i'll post up my final work (step by step).

Since the car is brand new, the goal of my kill switch is to ABSOLUTELY NOT CUT ANY WIRES. The kill switch MUST be easily removeable in the event i need to take the car into the dealer to get warranty service.

Kill Switch 1.0:
Found the Service manual for a 2013 Subaru Sti...looked up the wiring diagrams. Per the many kill switch threads in this forum, i am looking for somewhere to cut the ignition, fuel injectors, fuel pump, or crankshaft position sensor.

I found something that controls the ignition and fuel pump! FB-38

I Traced the wiring diagram FB-38 to fuse #12 in my interior driver side fuse box.

I turned the car on...pulled the fuse, engine dies...SWEET! Onto building the switch.
1) 1 - ATM / mini fuse add-a-circuit
2) 1 - mini fuse holder
3) 2 - wires
4) 1 - switch (salvaged from my del sol kill switch)
5) solder
6) 1 replacement 15amp fuse
7) 1 15 amp fuse to cut into

Step 1:
Cut away the plastic covering of a 15 amp fuse to expose the "posts." Also cut the middle of the fuse to "break" the circuit.

Step 2:
Solder 1 wire onto one side of the 15 amp fuse...the other side of the wire goes to one "pole" of the switch.

Step 3:
Solder ANOTHER wire between the OTHER side of the 15 amp fuse and the second "pole" on the switch. Somewhere on this wire, BETWEEN the fuse and the switch, splice in the mini fuse holder to hold the REPLACEMENT 15am fuse

You'll end up something like this:

taped it up:

Testing Continuity:
On

Off

Test Drive:
Using fuse #12 kills the engine instantly, however, when bump starting the car...i noticed that the Subaru Intelligent Drive (the thing that chooses between the 3 throttle maps on this car) light starts to flash and my airbag light stays on.When the light is blinking, i can't toggle between 3 different driving modes. The only wait to clear these is to key the car off, then key it back on...which defeats the purpose of the kill switch.

Version 1.5:
I noticed there is a fuel pump fuse in the engine bay fuse box. I plugged in my kill switch into the fuel pump fuse. However, when testing, the fuel does not cut off instantly...rather it takes about 5-7 seconds to sputter to a full kill. I don't like the idea of unburnt fuel being sputterred into the combustion chamber and sitting there.

Also, i remember on my del sol, when i switched from fuel pump kill to instant kill...i noticed an increase of 5mpg between the two methods.

Version 2.0:
looking into the crankshaft position sensor to kill the engine....to follow later this weekend

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html

Last edited by jedi_sol; 08-22-2013 at 11:49 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (08-22-2013), Fat Charlie (07-02-2014), Occasionally6 (08-22-2013), redpoint5 (10-11-2014), UltArc (08-22-2013)