View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Miller88
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My life plan was to retire wealthy and relatively healthy at the age of 55, marry a 25 year old, and begin my family (since I can't fathom how anyone has time for children unless they are retired). Well... I got married last week at the age of 32. My wife ruined my plan, and I couldn't be more contented.

Plenty of Fish is garbage. I found my wife on OKCupid (and my wife's friend found her husband at the same time on the same site). The matching algorithm is superior to others because it allows your own opinions on any number of things to form the matches, instead of relying on some stuffy old "expert" to apply a simplistic formula. It's free too.

A few years back I met an extraordinary 18 year old girl at junior college; I was 28. I had my reservations about dating her, and even shared them with the girl, but in her naivety she persisted and against my better judgement I gave in. When she went away to the University and broke up with me, it really hurt. I guess my only point is that even though you might feel older, young women are attracted to guys that are fun and represent a source of security, regardless of age.

Getting rejected by someone we love is the worst because we always pine for the one that got away, or the one that we can't quite get. There is nothing I know of that will heal the heart faster, but it's important to know in your mind that genuine and enduring love and companionship meet on the same level, with the same commitment. If a girl leaves, then it is better than having her hang on by a thread while you devote yourself to her.

I commend you on admitting that perhaps you were not the right one. American culture inflates our egos to unhealthy levels by saying we are perfect the way we are, that it's their problem and not a problem with me, and that we deserve the best of everything. The reality is, you only get what you give. Become the man that deserves the woman of your dreams. Perhaps you are, but there is always room for improvement.

And last, as a man, you are likely going to have to make the first confident step in the relationship. If it's meant to be, she will eventually meet you halfway.

The matching algorithm is excellent. On top of that, most users answer a bunch of questions, so, when you stumble across their profile, you can see where they stand on a lot of issues.

For some I find the wrong answer to a deal breaker, or the right answer to a deal breaker.

Online sites seems to have major advantages. How else are we supposed to meet people? I don't want to meet someone in a bar, my neighborhood is full of college aged girls (NO THANKS) and all of my friends are guys.

With that said, I got out of a 2 year relationship a month ago. It started to go south 4 or 5 months ago and finally ended.

I wasn't looking for a relationship. It juts happened. I think everyone has to be in that mindset. If you *want* it to happen, it either won't or you will end up in a bad situation.

I'm finally getting to do all of those things I wasn't able to. Been playing with the Jeep, going for bike rides, going to the gym, eating healthy, reconnecting with old friends at bars (but never drinking).

If it happens, it happens. If it does not, it does not. I'm only 24. Not sure if I want kids, too young for them.