View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
I’ve thought of selling the Caravan but it’s so nice to live in while exploring the countryside, I hate to give that up. I wish it had a standard transmission, but I doubt if they were even made for the car.

Steve
I had a '91 Caravan with almost no bells or whistles. My wife and I immediately added seat covers (homebrew from southwestern style throw blankets) and completely covered the interior carpets with seamless denim from front to back. When it came time to sell the car, we removed these interior treatments and the van looked like it had never been ridden in.

The exterior, however, was graced - temporarily - with factory Dodge paint that didn't adhere to anything but the wind with any kind of tenacity. Giant, hand-sized flakes would peel off. We painted the vehicle with strange designs. My niece painted a huge bare-breasted mermaid on the roof. We asked her if the mermaid wouldn't distract the truckers too much.

"They're grownups," she said. "They can handle it."

Turned out the kids in the school buses were a bit more impressionable. Oops!

Anyway. Yeah, for exploring the Caravan is tough to beat. With a custom tent to go over the liftgate, you can use it as a bare-bones RV in its own right. We covered a lot of miles in ours.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.