View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
I've already taken off the TV antenna. As for mirrors, I'd like bigger ones! Backing up one of these brutes can be stressful to say the least. I'll probably be investing in a backup camera next year. Most of the roof mounted stuff can't come off without major changes.
-Smooth wheel covers (election signs)
-Rear arch covers (election signs)
Rear arch? Do you mean rear fender skirts?
+Yepp!!
-Dropping unneeded weight (Do you have things you don't need?)
Dropping weight will be tough but I'm working on it. No granite counter tops, I never had that in my stx & brix home. As a geologist I know only too well how easily damaged it is.
+That was just an example, if you're like the geologists I've known, they know what they need and what they don't (since they are usually carrying it around with them).
-Grille block (or partial- either way, easy to remove)
A grill block is worrisome, Holiday Ramblers are well built, but many RV's have small grills and suffer from engine compartments that get so hot spark plug wires get scorched and wiring melts
+That's why I stress the importance of it coming on and off. Even if it's just used for winter months. Some have good ideas on vented blocks that allow some more air in, but still help aero.
-Partial underbody
May work on that in the future, would a partial underbody shield like from the front bumper to the rear axle help?
+Yepp, it's more important to cover the front than rear, I should be more clear, to start working from the front to rear. Especially with an underbody, as working rear to front (as in pieces over time) can become like a parachute.
-streamline your vehicle into the trailer/caravan (would be more costly)
-Test pulling the caravan flat vs on the trailer. Better or worse?
Can't pull the Caravan flat without expensive mods
+Sounds better for finding a FF standard estate.
-Warm Air Intake
-DEFINITELY an air dam
I'll have to research air dams
-start switching fluids to synthetic
I've been using synthetic fluids in my cars since 1996, I'm sold on synthetics!

I've actually been thinking of a Mazda MPV, I also like the Subaru's but I'm not interested in the full time AWD. I wish they made them in 4WD with lockout hubs. I've found over the years that front wheel drive will get me through most any road condition I'd actually choose to drive in.
You could always disable an axle- and what would be bad about the AWD? I think even with it, you'll see better fuel economy- and have the opportunity for EOC. I'm sure you know your needs, FF is better for you than AWD, I was thinking your time spent traveling for short(er) trips could go to more aggressive places w/ AWD, or at least, not be as limited as with the Caravan.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.