View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #48 (permalink)
litesong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
...... driving at faster speeds is not necessarily "hard" driving.

For those of us who drive relatively few miles per year there won't be such a wide variance as to add up to huge savings. I drive only about 5000 miles per year. I'll probably be dead before I rack up another 200,000 miles.

Quote:
In just one 200 mile drive, at 43mpg, instead of 30mpg, I kept 8 Washingtons in my pocket plus 8 pennies.
//////////
For some people being at their destination sooner might be worth more than the $8 you saved. To clarify my comment, no one is going to save $100 per tankful, no matter how they drive.
You can defend your higher speeds to the cop that stops you for speeding. Tell the officer, I told you to slow down but you would have nothing to do with that tactic.

If getting to your destination at a particular time means money, you need to leave 5 or 10 minutes sooner. If your life is dependent on the speed of your travel, you need a new life.

I'm sorry I taught you about the great amount of money you would save, since its at the end of your life. Some people would be pleased if someone gave them $8 every time they drove 200 miles. Me..... I'm not too proud to get $8, even if I had to pick it up off the ground. But fortunately, I don't have to. Don't even have to remove my wallet from my pocket. That's why they call it savings.

My 200,000 mile example was just that, not a lifetime of driving. Some people will drive 600,000 to 1 million miles in a lifetime. That $6000 saving is actually $18,000 to $30,000 to lots of people, if not you.
The Following User Says Thank You to litesong For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (08-28-2013)