Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Vader - '15 Dodge Grand Caravan
90 day: 23.13 mpg (US)

Cmax - '13 Ford Cmax SEL
90 day: 40.92 mpg (US)
Driving slower is less stressfully also IMO. More dough in my wallet and keeping the gray hairs at bay

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
The most common driving is to and from work. This key is, do you get paid for this time and expense or not? Most people do not get paid to drive to and from work. I don't. Once you figure out how much it costs you for this part of your day, to get to your job, you realize something. How fast or how economical you drive to work comes out of your pocket. Therefore, get paid more every day, by driving older economical vehicles- no big car payments and drive economically- less gas.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #43 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainoil View Post
Driving slower is less stressfully also IMO. More dough in my wallet and keeping the gray hairs at bay
You're gonna get gray haired, no matter how you drive. Getting gray has nothing to do with stress and everything to do with your genetic heritage.

The most that driving slowly might get you is a Washington in your wallet. Not a Franklin.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #44 (permalink)

Time can equal a better quality of life. If you work far from home, you waste time and gas (therefore money) regardless. The speed you drive will only trade one for the other. If you really do the math, you'd find a way to live closer to work.

Thats why i've made the decision to quit my job and find a new one. In my commute i waste an hour and twenty minutes a day! Thats time i'd rather spend walking my dog, cooking, doing hobbies or recreation. 5 miles vs 20, is a 75% reduction in fuel cost and use.

But it's easier for me because i'm not tied to a home, or a specific occupation.
Frank Lee (08-26-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

gueff - '19 Mercedes Benz A250 4MATIC AMG
90 day: 30.55 mpg (US)
for me hypermiling doesn't change my time of arrival. it might actually quicken it because i don't idle my car anymore in the morning.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
The most that driving slowly might get you is a Washington in your wallet. Not a Franklin.
Easily driving my 39mpg(last 5 or 6 tanks have been 40mpg or better) Elantra has been....... exciting. Driving it hard, I could have had 30mpg or less, like so many who complained about Elantra mpg..... & not been excited.

After 200,000 miles, I'll have an extra $6150(61 Franklins) in my pocket & still have my Elantra. Most others, hard driving their Elantras....... won't have 61 Franklins or their Elantras.

In just one 200 mile drive, at 43mpg, instead of 30mpg, I kept 8 Washingtons in my pocket plus 8 pennies.

XYZ ain't adding his Washingtons or Franklins with the right time frames or values.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #47 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
Easily driving my 39mpg(last 5 or 6 tanks have been 40mpg or better) Elantra has been....... exciting. Driving it hard, I could have had 30mpg or less, like so many who complained about Elantra mpg..... & not been excited.

After 200,000 miles, I'll have an extra $6150(61 Franklins) in my pocket & still have my Elantra. Most others, hard driving their Elantras....... won't have 61 Franklins or their Elantras.

In just one 200 mile drive, at 43mpg, instead of 30mpg, I kept 8 Washingtons in my pocket plus 8 pennies.

XYZ ain't adding his Washingtons or Franklins with the right time frames or values.
Not everyone's situation is the same as yours. It depends on where you drive (rural or city) and how much you drive. I suspect you don't drive "hard" so your comparison is a bit skewed. For those of us who never or hardly ever drive "hard", the difference in FE between 55 and 65 MPH isn't going to be tremendously impressive. Besides, driving at faster speeds is not necessarily "hard" driving.

For example I get about 32 MPG on one of my cars when driven at @ 60-65 MPH. But I rarely do any highway driving, mostly local driving. Driving slower won't help me in that situation. On the contrary, getting into the higher gears sooner produces better FE, and that means driving faster.

For those of us who drive relatively few miles per year there won't be such a wide variance as to add up to huge savings. I drive only about 5000 miles per year. I'll probably be dead before I rack up another 200,000 miles.

Quote:
For some people being at their destination sooner might be worth more than the $8 you saved. To clarify my comment, no one is going to save $100 per tankful, no matter how they drive.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
...... driving at faster speeds is not necessarily "hard" driving.

For those of us who drive relatively few miles per year there won't be such a wide variance as to add up to huge savings. I drive only about 5000 miles per year. I'll probably be dead before I rack up another 200,000 miles.

Quote:
//////////
For some people being at their destination sooner might be worth more than the $8 you saved. To clarify my comment, no one is going to save $100 per tankful, no matter how they drive.
You can defend your higher speeds to the cop that stops you for speeding. Tell the officer, I told you to slow down but you would have nothing to do with that tactic.

If getting to your destination at a particular time means money, you need to leave 5 or 10 minutes sooner. If your life is dependent on the speed of your travel, you need a new life.

I'm sorry I taught you about the great amount of money you would save, since its at the end of your life. Some people would be pleased if someone gave them $8 every time they drove 200 miles. Me..... I'm not too proud to get $8, even if I had to pick it up off the ground. But fortunately, I don't have to. Don't even have to remove my wallet from my pocket. That's why they call it savings.

My 200,000 mile example was just that, not a lifetime of driving. Some people will drive 600,000 to 1 million miles in a lifetime. That $6000 saving is actually $18,000 to $30,000 to lots of people, if not you.
The Following User Says Thank You to litesong For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
You can defend your higher speeds to the cop that stops you for speeding. Tell the officer, I told you to slow down but you would have nothing to do with that tactic.
Who said anything about speeding? How is driving 60-65 MPH considered speeding when the speed limit is 65?

Are you having hallucinations when you read posts? You have a very vivid imagination, and a very accusatory attitude.

Quote:
If getting to your destination at a particular time means money, you need to leave 5 or 10 minutes sooner. If your life is dependent on the speed of your travel, you need a new life.
I didn't say "I" always do this, did I? Some people drive faster than others. Such is life. What is your problem with that such that you feel the need to lecture and browbeat anyone who doesn't act exactly as you do?

You certainly are arrogant and aggressive in the way you express yourself. I hope you don't drive the same way that you write. Or is taunting those who cross your path a carry over from your days of "hard driving"?

Quote:
I'm sorry I taught you about the great amount of money you would save, since its at the end of your life. Some people would be pleased if someone gave them $8 every time they drove 200 miles. Me..... I'm not too proud to get $8, even if I had to pick it up off the ground. But fortunately, I don't have to. Don't even have to remove my wallet from my pocket. That's why they call it savings.
You don't sound "sorry" at all. How snotty and condescending can you get? Take your holier-than-thou attitude and put it in your wallet. With your attitude you're not going to teach anyone anything.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2 View Post
.......has anyone ever considered what speeding would do if you got a ticket? I'll enjoy the roses instead of being in a rush.
You'll enjoy the roses, instead of your wife putting roses on your coffin & somebody else's coffin.

Reply  Post New Thread