View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
Starting Problems

OK guys, looking for a little diagnosis help.

The other day I was working on the car looking for an issue for a P0170 code. While working on it, I had to take out the battery for something. When I put it back in, the car wouldn't start. I thought the battery might have gone bad, so I took it to the auto shop I bought it at less than a year ago and after testing it, it was determined to be completely good.

My friend, a mechanic, said while somebody is trying to crank to hammer the starter lightly. If it started then the starter was bad. I couldn't even get the car close to starting. I'm not even sure the starter was turning.

The battery leads had some corrosion on it, but I was skeptical cleaning them would fix the problem, because it has been on there for a long time, with no problems. I cleaned them anyway with some baking soda and water and low and behold, the car started. I ran it for a minute, then to be thorough, I turned it off waited a few seconds and started it again. Both times, they started like nothing had ever been wrong. Great! Easy fix! So I thought.

About an hour later, I went to start it to go out (I had a family member on-call in case something went wrong while I was out) and I got no crank, just like before I cleaned the leads. I thought that starting it twice without driving might have drained the battery, so I reattached the charger and went out. Came back 2-3 hours later, undid the charger and tried to start it. No crank. The dome light was blinking like it was struggling to stay on while I cranked and then after, until I closed the door to shut if off.

Now, I'm coming here for help. What could be causing it to not start after starting twice? After cleaning the leads, I reattached the battery and started it. Could the leads have been wet still which helped a connection somewhere? Is there any evidence as to whether it is the starter or solenoid or some other sensor? Could there be bad contacts somewhere?

This guy is saying that it could be sticking contacts which is temperature related. When I started it, the temp. was relatively warm, but it was also about the same temp. an hour later. When I got back from my errands, it was dark and a lot cooler.

I appreciate any and all help/ideas.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.