View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #40 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
tonight I measured out my 50 mile commute home, accounting for elevation changes. It came out to 49.9 miles. My ODO read 47.5 miles. 2.4 miles difference is 5%! If you look at my current highest tank of about 46 MPG and apply the correct miles traveled, it brings it up past 48 MPG!!
You might go back and correct your earlier entries like Old Mech says. I did not, because I only became aware of the under count my tires were producing after I swapped the transmission. But ever since the swap I have applied a 1.055 multiplier to the stock odometer reading. That's 5.5%, which I confirmed repeatedly using a GPS and ridewithgps.com ... when I get new tires this fall and switch my front wheels to my 13" VX wheels (like the back ones currently are) I will re-calibrate.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.